Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Skunked Again 2014 Thread

10K views 74 replies 19 participants last post by  NymphoStage 
#1 ·
I am possibly the worst fisherman ever. I get skunked most of the time, yesterday was no different. Hit 4 lakes over an 8 hour period. Threw every rig and tactic I know at them, not a bite.

So, skunked again. Post here to document all of those hours on the water where it just didn't happen.

#2 ·
Ha, your a rookie I bet. I've been getting skunked since '03 when I got here.
Not only that I even spent 15 grand to do it.

In all honesty I've always been boater who was a good fisherman, but as time goes by here iam more and more turning into a boater in a fishing boat...

My grand daughter doesn't mind as she likes to drive.

#3 ·
I spent all of last summer fishing every free second I had. Lunch break, that hour between work and the gym, full days on the weekends, every week, and researching about fishing when I wasn't on the water. I picked up fly fishing between now and then however I still like spin casting from shore. I get skunked more than anyone. It is sad.

#7 ·
Anyone care to throw a sure thing lake/pond my way? Something in the metro area would be great. I am not asking for your cuttthroat spot in the wilderness or your Tiger Muskie honey hole I am asking for a lake or pond in the city that I can bring my 6-year old too and pluck out some easy fish with a worm on. Anything?

#10 ·
No such thing as "for-sure"....

But if I were you, I would search in the "Reports" forum for metro area lakes or ponds from the last 3-4 years during the month of May. It'll take a little tweaking on your search, but if you go back before 2010, many many reports were far less "tight-lipped" so to speak.

Happy hunting.

#11 ·
I think I have gone out 4 times since making this thread, not one fish.

Today went to a little pond hidden on the southwest corner of Santa Fe and Bowles. I noticed it on the Colorado fishing atlas and decided to check it out. No dice. Using a simple nightcrawler under a bobber. My bobber would start moving around and then go under at which point I went to set the hook but nothing. I would reel in without a single piece of the worm missing. Very strange and have never seen that before but it happened three times in about a 30 minute period. Anyone have an idea of what that is all about?

Anyway, no fish there so went and bough some live minnows and went to a little pond tucked away on the SE side of old town Littleton. Sterne pond I think??? Anyway, not a bite with the minnows. I was fishing them under a bobber. Some hooked through the back, some through the tail. the minnows had a lot of action and were wriggling all over the place but no bites.

So yeah, the ongoing story of the worlds worst fisherman. At this point I am not even mad I am impressed at the hours I have put in and the minimal amount of fish I have caught.

#14 ·
I had a rough couple weeks 2 weeks ago, I was out almost every day with next to no fish. I swear I just have a day where I will only fish for a few hours and I will catch more fish in that time period than the last 8 trips combined. Im with opry though, the more I catch and learn about different tactics of catching fish, the less fish I catch. Have you tried using the worm without the bobber?

#20 ·
My strategy has been to not catch fish. Using this method has resulted in zero fish swallowing the hook!

Seriously though no I do not have a problem with the ones I have caught swallowing the hook. If they did I would eat the fish. I love fish but that is not the primary reason I catch them. 99% of fish I catch get thrown back.

#19 ·
I haven't used bait since I was 12. No reason to start again.

I know I got bored with the spinning rod after one outing. ;D

I'll stick to being a prude, and fly fishing with dry flies. :tongue:

#45 ·
I have been skunked again. Went to a pond in Littleton right near my house. The last time it produced for me was probably around this time last summer when I yanked a few LMB out with a spinnerbait. I have been back at least ten times without a bite but I keep trying... Anyway, I showed up with a crankbait (I think that is what it is) and casted about 30 times, each time bringing in a massive amount of slimy vegetation. I could have thrown something weedless on like a Texas rig but I was determined to try some new types of lures so I decided to try another nearby pond that I know is not nearly as filthy as this one.

Went to the second pond. Keep in mind that I yanked countless blue gill out of it over the weekend but could not manage any bass as they were spawning and really do not seem to care about eating right now. So, I could see the bass from shore and was casting at them but they wouldn't take anything. Using that same crankbait until one cast where my polomar knot broke (yay!) sending it flying and it was gone. I then tried a white jig on a pink jighead. Nothing. It then rained. After the rain I tried a senko rigged wacky. Nothing although a spawning bass rose to it, looked at it, and went back down.

So that was it. No action at all although I could have pulled out the fly rod and slayed gills at will (but I was determined to try a new type of lure). So anyway, skunked again!

Also, why am I the only one posting about being skunked in here? I can't be the only one, can I?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.