Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steel or lead?

I'm fairly new to this slabbing technique, I've always fished kasties in a slabbing type retreive. I was just curious what everyones thoughts are on lead vs. steel? I can see how lead might help you feel the bottom and light bites better but will it flutter and flash the same as steel?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Get right on top of the fish and use a heavy spoon or blade. Whether you use mono or braid make sure the line diameter is at least 10-12 test. Thicker line allows your spoon to flutter instead of drop like a rock! Makes a huge difference in how many strikes you will get during the day. I like casting reels with a flipping switch for this application!

To me slabbing is a vertical presentation. Casting spoons is totally different technique. I have caught hundreds of walleye just casting out a 1/4 oz Kroc and ripping it back to shore. Same with blades.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Oh sorry. It doesn't matter what the spoon is made of. I use 1 oz Hopkins a lot. If they want a smaller bait? try the new Tungstun spoons! They are very weight dense for their size!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Ive always done better casting than vertically jigging them. I think covering more area is a good thing. Plus if the wind comes up it is a PITA to work them vertical-

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Slabbing is for fish hanging in deeper water that are schooled up and usually in a negative or neutral mode. Usually you are targeting fish from 25- 50 feet deep hanging on channel edges and humps. Really shines in late fall and winter.

During spring when the dinks are all over the flats feeding, anything will work! But small spoons rip jigged across the flats will catch a lot of them.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I use the Hopkins also but as I loose so many I make a lead jigging spoon and paint it white. if I don't loose 10 a day I am not fishing right. 30 lb power pro, small swivel, 3 feet of 20lb floro

·
Registered
8 Posts
here in the land of corn we slab with blade baits, spoons, and spoons with clackers. when august hits slabbin if very affective. walleye, white bass, and caught a few really nice flattys slabbin. if i can figure out how to post a pic i will.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Boring.... Like walleye fishing, wait wait, it is walleye fishing :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info, I'm excited to try it out this fall. I have probably close to 200 3/4 & 1oz lead spoons that my uncle casted years ago before he died(a 3 gallon bucket full), he lived in SC and fished for stripers alot. They are identical to these.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Thanks for all the info, I'm excited to try it out this fall. I have probably close to 200 3/4 & 1oz lead spoons that my uncle casted years ago before he died(a 3 gallon bucket full), he lived in SC and fished for stripers alot. They are identical to these.
Yeah it is real popular in the south for Stripers!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
is color important? would guess your patterning a dieing shad? some really high glow paits out now wonder if that makes a difference in the deep water fish.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Lots of time it is a reaction bite! Knowing when and where to use it is more important than color?
cool I like pink! I would think glow would be good in deeper dark water? allot of the walleye stuff out of Michigan is glow , look at moonshine lures cool stuff.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Lots of time it is a reaction bite! Knowing when and where to use it is more important than color?
We all know fish are gonna look at that lure and say: no, I don't want no pink, green, purple. :D If there were a chartreuse shad out out there, it would get eaten first. Gotta get me a boat again before I try some slabbing.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
How much finesse can you get out of metal? :rolleyes: :lol:
That varies by what metal you are using? A blade bait barely lifted off the bottom would be an example of a finesse version of slabbing.

First thing I did when I bought my boat was get six trolling rods and then three slabbing rods. I actually enjoy slabbing! I just rarely got a chance to do it after I sold my boat. The only time I have used this technique in the last five years was when Eric/CO and I slabbed every fall at Chatty. We caught a lot of fish. Smallie's and Eyes!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts