Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to take the family out for a day trip and would like to hit the crested butte area. I have little experience there. I was looking at the slate river. Looks pretty interesting. But I can't find muck info on it. Anyone care to share so info about it? Or any other suggestions for small stream fishing in that area? My son will is really getting into the small stream fly thing. So I would like to keep to small stuff. Not the east or Taylor or gunny if ya catch my drift. He likes to wade right up the middle and get after it. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Slate is a great river hopper dropper Caddis and what not work great . Just below CB the East joins the Slate , There is a very nice access to the East River just south of town on county road 738 . Same thing there Hopper dropper things like that . Another good place in the area is the Upper Taylor above Taylor Res,
There is Italian creek that flows into the Upper Taylor. In that area are also the Potholes , couple of put and take lakes but on accession a good fish is to be had. Fly and bubble work great there. Also There is Spring creek coming out of Spring Creek Res that has a lot of good water .

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like slate is a bit bigger then I was thinking. I was hoping for a smaller easy to wade creek for the kids to wade up. I will do some exploring up that way anyway.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
The East River above the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory sounds like something you may want to try. Definitely more small stream than the Slate..Beautiful place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts