Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is true. There are millions of tiny perch in Harvey.

I got unlimited tiny perch and a few better fish to nine inches drop shotting chiromomid imitations and using Swedish Pimple based search rigs with a micro tungsten dropper tipped with a maggot. Every so often the bite would turn off like a switch got flipped, and a big sonar return would ooze through... pretty good case for tip-ups. Perch were puking up size 16 olive midge larvae in large blobs. Active biters were in deeper basin areas, 30fow range.

16+" of ice on main lake, edges soft from rapidly rising lake level.

To the prick who left all the Jolly Rancher wrappers on the ice, I hope you get one wedged sideways in your neck-hole.

Cheers all.

Shaun

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Thanks for the report thinking of heading over there on the 8th of Feb for the weekend...keep saying I am going to fish it and never make it year after year...unless I come up with someplace better...

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Its always so fricking cold in that Gunnison basin...I am hoping for 20 degree ice...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Zman-

I was just like you. Years and years of saying I gotta get out there. I finally did last weekend. Fished HG Saturday (Rifle had the tourney) then Williams Fork on Sunday until the game.

Harvey was loaded with perch, mostly small perch. The first was the largest of the day at 9 1/2" - ended up with 4 keepers out of about 5 dozen. I also put a dead shiner on a rod outside my hut and ended up with two nice eater pike, 22-25" each. One rainbow took my perch jig so it was a triple species day.

Williams Fork was typical. About 30 lakers between two of us from 8-1PM in 42FOW mostly hitting white twistertails (Radical Glow twistertails). Size ranged from 14-23" and we kept about 10 between us.

Back to Harvey - I'll go back there again. It was fun and I was surprised to get any pike at all with the amount of perch in there. I think they like the change of bait to shiners. I didn't fish by the dam and need to check out that area and the west shore.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Thanks for the info and encouragement...much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For sure it does! You just let me know when they start biting again, m'nkay? :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Rifle can be a real *****, Sunday of the tourney was as bad as it gets, seasoned perch pros were only got a couple of fish all day. Better fish than Harvey on the average but moody moody fish.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't own one. I would rather fish a rod. If we could run a string of 'em like up north, that would be different. There are good numbers of pike in there though for sure.

SS1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts