Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie question....everyone says for walleye/crappie I need to learn slip bobber. working on that. but being a shore fisherman I often don't know the depth where I'm casting. I have some idea but not really a good one. Why slip bobber instead of slip sinker where I can just count on it to do and be a foot off the bottom?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Use the slip bobber to determine the depth you are fishing or to find contour changes. If you're bobbers not standing your baits on the bottom.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's easier to locate the fish with a slip bobber, you can keep changing depths until you find them and then you fish only at that depth.

·
Registered
285 Posts
one of my favorite things about using a bobber is covering a lot of water with bait, especially in wind. Let that bobber blow/move from one side to the other, or if not windy slow roll it in or reel pause like pathway said. In most situations cover as much water as you can imo.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slip sinker is the same as a Carolina rig right?
Only times Ive ever used one I got my ass handed to me.
Yeah, I use bullet weights not egg ones. 3/8 or 1/2 oz gets you way out. Good for when you want to eat a trout on slow late summer days. A small corkie or marshmallow to get your worm up off the bottom. Couple laces in wyo it helps get past the stockers into the 16-18" eaters. Floating line helps if you're in rocks so it doesn't just settle down and get tangled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts