Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 lb nano main line and when tied to a mono leader it always fails (I'm using a blood knot). What knot do you use? I've seen fishful thinker use this setup and wonder what knot he uses, can you guys help me. Thanks

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I use a double clinch knot. Just cross the lines over one another, tie the clinch on both sides, slide em both down until they're touching, clip excess.

Not sure if this has a specific name, but it's what I use.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
IF... it ain't windy.... double uni knot... if I ain't in a hurry...
IT's a ***** to tie, but works really well...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
uni to uni held a 25lb laker recently. i had a uni from 10lb braid to 15lb braid to backing of 10lbs as well. all 3 uni. all with long runs on pretty heavy rod i built. good knots.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
As they all said double uni...I use nano for my braid uses...make sure you wrap it at leasr 7 times so it doesnt slip!...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
double clinch is a blood knot.

I like an improved albright for this application. but it too is a bit tough to tie. if it is a short leader, a tripple surgeons is $$$

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love the albright because it's so smooth but if you don't practice it a bit can be tricky but I fall back on the double uni when ever needed

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Always used the double uni but I always thought that was a blood. I have had issues with it slipping using braid to flouro. Sounds like I need to wrap it more. How many times do you guys wrap the uni knots. Also do any of you just tie straight to the braid, if so what knot do you recommend.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Always used the double uni but I always thought that was a blood. I have had issues with it slipping using braid to flouro. Sounds like I need to wrap it more. How many times do you guys wrap the uni knots. Also do any of you just tie straight to the braid, if so what knot do you recommend.
Albright is good for this.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For lines of similar diameter, I've had modest success on the uni-to-uni (what some folks call the double uni). Braid to flouro, for relatively light braids (less than 50 lb) where there is change in line diameter, I use a Red Phillips knot. It can be googled. Easy to tie (only one Uni component to the knot) and holds very well when properly tightened. A bit more compact than a uni-to-uni. For larger braids and/or big leaders, I use a Bob Sands knot.

Best regards,
Dogwood

1 - 20 of 31 Posts