Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buenos dias amigos! I got out for a bit yesterday afternoon to fish my local and I was delighted to find that some of the fish had moved into the riffles and faster water giving them less time to inspect my rather shoddy flies before taking a bite. I caught several nice browns and bows before I hooked up with the slob pictured below. I had heard that the DOW had put some brooder fish in the river last year and I wonder if this is one of them. All fins were intact, but she was so fat and heavy I wonder if it was a recent release or maybe she was just full of eggs? In any case I hope she releases some eggs soon because she won't last in that stretch with all the bait chuckers in there. Laters.

PH

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Knute said:
Pretty nice for outside of football season. Didja get a length on her, perchance?
No, I didn't, if I had to guess she was probably 18? I'm not good about that kind of thing. What really impressed me was the weight of her. And the girth. As we all say at one time or another "the pictures don't do it justice". I think she was at least 5lbs. Full of eggs?

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's been surprising, to me at least, how fish don't come out weighing more than they do on the fish weight calculators that estimate based on length and girth. E.g., a 23" 12.5"girth (about which I said "wow, look at the girth on that thing) 'bow only calcs out to weigh 4.5 lb. Had it gotten away, it would have been "5, maybe 6 lbs. easy". But then an 18"-er with 14" girth calcs to 4.2 lbs. so bigger girth, understandably, adds considerably to weight (just like us humans . . .). Regardless, that fish is a dandy and "wow, look at the GIRTH on that thing!"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Poudre Hound said:
Knute said:
Pretty nice for outside of football season. Didja get a length on her, perchance?
No, I didn't, if I had to guess she was probably 18? I'm not good about that kind of thing. What really impressed me was the weight of her. And the girth. As we all say at one time or another "the pictures don't do it justice". I think she was at least 5lbs. Full of eggs?
My 5- and 6-wts measure exactly 10" from butt to forward end of cork. Bet yours is pretty close to that, too. Using that as a guage this fish looks around 18".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts