Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a very slow night at Pueblo last night (10 Nov). We got on the water at 5PM and motored to Turkey Creek, picked up a few eyes (shorts) and then the vapor/fog came up off the lake. Super humid, cold and very calm. It was 30 degrees when we left and all the fog had coated everything in ice. Made for a very slippery boat deck and dock.

My buddy got whacked by a huge wiper around 10:30 around Turkey Creek. It was 27 1/2" long. I couldn't get my scale to turn on so no weight. The wiper was a toad, easily 10 pounds! It looked more like a giant crappie than a bass because it was super wide and thick. I didn't get a girth measurement either.

My friend has to learn about how to hold fish for photos because the picture does not do this fish justice. It was an absolute beast. It was released and charged away from the boat just fine.

We ended up with one 18.25" keeper walleye (no photo). It puked up 21 shad in the live well. I'll bet that wiper had 100 shad in it's belly.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, this same guy caught a 17" crappie in the same spot last fall. He never wants to fish anywhere else on the lake now! LOL

Whomp - still not getting heavy into the keeper walleyes down here. I'm probably not patient enough with my swimbaits.

Palerider - the water temp was 53 at Turkey Creek. It's coming down slowly but surely. Last Friday (11/3) it was 56 degrees. My fishing logbook had ice formed all the way out to the quarry on Dec 10 last year. I doubt it's going to ice over as far as the quarry by Dec 10 this year.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went out solo tonight (Nov 12) and got myself a wiper. No keeper walleyes. :mad:

The wiper was right around 20". CPR'd.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Nice Wiper! Thanks for letting it go. If you are really after big eye's I would lose the swimbait and fish the largest jerk baits you have! Big walleye's like long slender baitfish over anything else. Not saying you won't catch a few on swimbaits but jerks are usually much more effective once the water gets around 50 or less.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Good story, Neal... nice feesh

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Nice fish man. I have caught a lot of 27-28s out of plebs and have boga'd them at about 8lbs generally. Once they hit 30" they definitely balloon up pretty quick. Well done I bet it was a fun catch :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Neal & Oyey. I do mostly fish jerkbaits but have been experimenting with swimbaits the last couple of years to see how they do. In a different post, Whompus talked a lot about using swimbaits so I mentioned it mostly for him.

Definitely working the jerkbaits as the temps dip and agree 100% with long and slender.

My best bait over the last two years at Pueblo at night has been a Berkley Skinny Cutter 110 in the Ghilly pattern. It's not as long as some others but that single jerkbait has produced 64 wallies by itself and I'm still counting (though it's now been retired to boat use only for sentimental reasons). If those Cutters suspend perfectly horizontal they are killers. Suspend dots or strip here and there make 'em right.

Slow night tonight - only got four shorts. The breeze laid down at sunset and the lake went glass calm again. Big wiper boils in the west end again - about a half hour straight. After a long night last night I was tired and lost my game. Going solo several nights in a row takes it out of me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts