Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I have a small boat and a small SUV so hugh mountain lakes are out of the question.

With that in mind are there any places where someone with a smaller boat can catch macks w/o mountain hills?

-Jay

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Jay-Rampart. The lakers run small here (14-19") but there are a million of them and they're all hungry!! ;D Ed

M

·
0 Posts
I have real good luck at rampart lately for the Macks. make sure you bring a tub of worms

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is it and again, Is there any steep hills ill need drive up?

Also, What is the bait of choice? Tubes with sucker meat?

-Jay

M

·
0 Posts
It it just east of woodland park. Turn right at the mcdonalds (coming from the springs) and stay on the road past the two schools and then turn right at the T (there are signs to follow)
As I stated earlier, I had great luck there 2 weeks ago trolling worms behind cowbells. Also had great luck trolling Hornet Salmos. There are a ton of macks in that lake.

There are some hills but nothing major ( not like going over monument pass or anything). The lake seems to be fairly sheltered and the wind does not get as bad as 11 mile -- so a 12-14 foot boat will have no problems. Mine is only 14 feet.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hey Jay, they have also stocked something like 40,000 Splake in Horsetooth the last couple of years. Carter has been stocked with Splake for the last 15 years also.

Both of those lakes would be very easy to get to!

M

·
0 Posts
as of two weeks ago they were not. but with two people it is pretty easy to launch there and not get wet

M

·
0 Posts
Docks are probably in now. But I just tie a rope to the boat and push it off the trailer and then pull the rope to beach the boat just enough to keep it in place and then use the motor to pull it off the beach.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts