Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever fished any of those small lakes outside of Yampa. I am going Elk hunting there and we are camping at Crosho Lake. Anyone been there?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've been to Rams Horn several times hich is behing the dam at Yampa reservoir. It's a pretty nasty but fun 4WD
road back there about a mile. I've caught brookies up to 18" but it's real hit and miss. Last year at this time we caught 5 and two weeks ago didn't even get a bite.
Small leech patterns work best in olive and blood color.
We've seen elk hunters back there occasionally.
This lake is on the Colo topo map.
Yampa reservoir has plenty of eager 12 inch rainbows that will hit anything.

·
Registered
267 Posts
there is supposed to be greyling in crosho. i've never been there, but i've read that in 2 different sources. kip carey guide and some other colorado lakes book. hammer, did ya see any greyling being caught?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
There is grayling in Crosho, are suppose to be. It was one of the lakes I looked at when I was planning on trying to catch one this year. I chose Pomeroy instead... but only caught cut throats.

·
Registered
267 Posts
ePiC said:
There is grayling in Crosho, are suppose to be.  It was one of the lakes I looked at when I was planning on trying to catch one this year.  I chose Pomeroy instead... but only caught cut throats. 
that's funny, cause last year i developped the same plan. "i'm gonna catch a greyling this year!" i chose joe wright res, suposedly the best greyling fishery in the state. didn't catch a one. i talked to some guys who had caught a few with suprisingly large spoons. (not huge spoons, but big enough to make you wonder what the hell a greyling was doing trying to get it in their tiny mouth.)
the cool thing was it was where i saw the only moose that i have ever seen in CO.

N

·
0 Posts
If you are talking about the three lakes I think you are talking about, Yamcolo,bear, and long, I believe. Great cutts and triploids(I think they are trippys, not enough color to be brookies). Caught some nice cutties on the river that flows into the last(or first, all the way at the top) this august. Chronomids and Baetis were my best bet on the lakes. Maybe we are thinking of the same lakes or maybe not, but hope that helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to report backafter I went to Corsho. Fished from 8:00 am to 1:00pm. Caught around 20 to 25 fish. Most of them looked like Cutt-Bows. As well I caught my first and second Grayling of my fishing Career. Lots of fun. Will go back someday.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Good to hear dude, I havent been to Crosho since 1982 or so. Any size? What did you catch them on?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Green Wooly Buggers, occasionally they would hit something small as a dropper, but 90% of the fish hit the Green Wooly B. I tried a bunch of patterns but nothing seemed to work that day like it. Biggest fish was a 21' Cut. Most were between 14-18". The two grayling were around 14" but had some shoulders on 'em. Hit hard but finished light, nice strikes though.

I'm looking for someplace new that is similar in size and driving distance to Corsho. Probably hasn't changed much since '82.

AJC

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Thanx for the reply. You might check out Heart lake on the Yampa side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts