Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones opinion of the small lakes that you can sometimes only get to by hike. When I say small I mean those that are like 5-50 surface acres. I've seen a lot of these on resourceanalysis.com that are just west of fort collins I think. Can a 5 acre lake really hold any good size fish?

·
Registered
413 Posts
AJ-I've hiked up to a bunch of small, high mountain lakes. Almost all of them held some pretty big fish. My favorite was a lake near Nederland that was probably 2 acres tops and pretty shallow. I pulled a four pound brooky out of there, and the average size was about 14 inches.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
5 acre lakes can hold some nice fish, I have caught 3-5 lb bass out of farm ponds and huge bullheads and huge leeches (well these caught me) all out of the same ponds. Its all about fish density and forage granted you probably wont hit the lunkers there but a 3lb fish is still a nice fish.

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
Oh yeah-they hold some hogs!This one particular lake was about 12-15 acres and my personal best there was a 15lb.laker!Theres this lake that is prolly 5 acres that you can just about see the bottom all the way across and it has 18" brookys in it.One thing I've noyiced is that high lakes along the front range are pretty beat due to overuse.The tougher and longer the hike the bigger the reward.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I thought the same thing
my buddy caught a 6 lb large mouth outta this small lake
although it has pretty good surface area, darn shallow
never would have guessed that fish came from that lake
the thing is flat out huge, dwarfs anything ive EVER caught(well bass anyway)
lookin at the lake I would think ud be lucky to pull a 3 lb out!
lets just say i gave her another try after seeing that pic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts