Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some smallmouth I got on the yampa this year. My other thread (yampa river= heaven for anglers) is more dedicated to esox lucious, this will be more dedicated to smallmouth; whatever their latin name may be lol...

BIG smallmouth, around 18" or so and very, very, very fat. Course the bear was fatter then than he is now.

lunker smallmouth. Can't remember how big but probably at least a 3#

smallie around 15" (maybe a bit bigger) landed on a #15 panther. Look at that gut!

I'm sorry the picture above had my lap, lol :p
4+ pounder caught on a buzzbait in about 8" of water in the evening. The cast after I got a 26" pike just up from that spot.

Yeah, the northerns average 30" in that river and top 40" regularly, but there is nothing wrong with plenty of 3-4 pound smallies. I caught one nearly 5# there last year in 04.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
All the other pics have spots in them so I am gonna guess its the camera/film. But it is kinda a cool effect.....looks like a cross between a brookie and smallie! :)

Dan

·
Registered
943 Posts
it figure dan would use the word small in his word ;D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
a person would think in this time of 'peace and good will to men', the abuse would stop. I should know better than to expect that! ;D

Dan

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah its the camera. Got dunked in water. Took a long time to find someone to try and salvage the film. We lost some good pics in there....big smallies and pike...also a couple monster gills out of jerry...oh well. Can always go and catch more next year.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Whoa! My bad. I have believed for the last 50 years that the spelling was Micropterus dolomieu -- without any"i" on the end. The very first book I pulled at random off the shelf -- Karl Lagler's "Freshwater Fishery Biology" from way back in 1956 -- showed me the error of my ways.

Dang, with the truckload of fish books I have cluttering up the place, you would think I would at least read some of them once in a while.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You're too hard on yourself. I've had ample cause to read lots of fish books over the last four years, and I still can't spell or remember half the scientific names I should know. I can look them up, though - that's the beauty of books.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Well, I have always believed so, but it helps a lot if your fishing colleagues actually visit and see that you have them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts