Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill start this off with a pic or 2 so you understand what i mean by a small stream, if you look above the rocks on the left you can just make out my ball cap hanging from the branches

went down to hardscrable creek to tossa few flies yesterday afternoon in the light rain/overcast as you can see not much room to work a long rod but it paid off in a batch of lil brookies was fishing with a foam ant and a phesant tail dropper got the first on the ant

thne one on the dropper

after a fish or too from each pool

on the long rod i would work a small panther and a pistole pete thru for a few more, in the end i got about a dozen brookies and 3 rainbows 1 of the bows and 1 brookie were over 11 inches and they went back along with the 2 small bows i kept about 1/2 dozen (under 8") for breakfast and they went real good with some eggs nd hashbrowns.
after the last pool the sun was fading with a light sprinkle so i sat back on the bank munching on some wild plums and just let it all sink in

life is good!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Roadkill,

That looks like fun, it reminds me of the streams grew up fishing on. The brush is often so thick you can't cast, you just lower the fly hanging from your rod tip, or float it down the current. Yeah fun, and there are not as many mosquitos here.

Terre

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep not 1 moskito on that trip
with most of the pools i could stand down stream 20ft or so and cast between the brush to get a good delivery then when i hooked up i had to rock hop and strip like mad to get to the fish

with the pistole pete on the spinning rod w/2#test i could get closer and kinda pitch it like pitching jigs for bass but they were quite spooky with the water as low as it is they are packed in the pools and are getting pestered by the four legged fishers

I

·
0 Posts
sweet deal. nice photos. the time of year to hit these frenzy streams.
i hit the north fork of the big thompson sunday. me and a buddy. we were out from 9am - 5:30pm and fished on/off during a 5+ mile round trip trail hike along the stream.
all total between us i bet we caught nearly 100 brookies (6"-10") in full tangerine underbelly color, white tipped fins, nice blue halos and dark green backs. also caught several nice 13" rainbows and a nice brown. so i got a hat trick. they hit dry/dropper all day. tough river to cast but it was plenty fishable. if i would have gone up higher it goes into RMNP and greenback cuts are up there.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Looks like a good day fishing if you ask me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sweet photos and story Roadkill! Grew up chasing brookies in water ankle to knee deep. Those days are what dreams are made of. Catch brookies all morning long. Take a nap in the mid-day, catch supper in the afternoon and then clean up some stunted 8"ers for supper with an orange sliced up in foil on the fire and sit back for the evening and have a sip of something and sleep like a baby in the tent. Those pics bring me back, and for that I am truly grateful. This Nebraska boy misses home sometimes and I may have lived in Denver, but those photos are where I called home.
Craig

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mustang said:
what do u mean stunted? i saw that in another report about brookies
each lake or stream can only suport so many pounds of fish 1000 tiny ones or 100 bigger ones (that is very simplified) and brookies reproduce very well and have a tendancy to over populate causeing the fish to get smaller this often happens with bluegill and perch also there are many other scientifc explanations but this should give you the idea

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there are times of extreme overpopulation when you do get some funky looking critters fish or other wise

if youve ever been to downtown denver just look on the street corners yyoull see what i mean...lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts