Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am just getting settled into the Fort Collins area after living in the mountains and fishing the small trout streams up there. I have already taken advantage of a lot of the fishing FoCo has to offer, usually fishing the bass ponds throughout town and fishing the Poudre when it isn't washed out. I have been looking for a smaller trout stream where I can be secluded and use my tenkara rod, but I haven't been able to find any that hold fish and have public access. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find backcountry trout streams? I know RMNP is full of them but I can't afford the fee every time I want to get out there, so I was looking more for something near the Poudre or Big T. I don't need an exact location, just an idea of where to go. I know there are many small streams but I don't know which hold fish.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Find a res near where you wanna go. Fish a stream or whatever that branches off it's tail waters. If it's in the lake there is an extreme high probability that it's in those tail waters.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My suggestion is to get yourself a couple of National Geographic Topo maps and go exploring. There are some great streams and lakes that you can find in Maps 112 (Poudre River, Cameron Pass) and 114(Walden, Gould) not too far from FoCo. That being said the Poudre is a great river, and I bet it would be alot of fun with a Tenkara rod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses! I went up in Pingree today and fished around fish creek and had some luck with some brookies! Is it safe to assume most of the streams in the area hold fish?

·
Registered
34 Posts
RMNP year pass pays for itself fast ! Plenty of lil cricks in there, plenty of seclusion off the beaten path, the lakes throughout do not suck either

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hey everyone, I am just getting settled into the Fort Collins area after living in the mountains and fishing the small trout streams up there. I have already taken advantage of a lot of the fishing FoCo has to offer, usually fishing the bass ponds throughout town and fishing the Poudre when it isn't washed out. I have been looking for a smaller trout stream where I can be secluded and use my tenkara rod, but I haven't been able to find any that hold fish and have public access. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find backcountry trout streams? I know RMNP is full of them but I can't afford the fee every time I want to get out there, so I was looking more for something near the Poudre or Big T. I don't need an exact location, just an idea of where to go. I know there are many small streams but I don't know which hold fish.

Thanks!
Try the Flap Tops Wilderness area

1 - 11 of 11 Posts