Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
smallmouth fishing?

Hi I am new to this site and I am wondering where the best place to go smallmouth fishing is. I am an avid Pike fisherman and I fish Elevenmile all the time but I always like to go smallmouth fishing this time of year at Pueblo. With the water down and the fish getting absoluty pounded on the best bedding area on the lake I want to try some where new and give the pueblo bass a break. Any suggestions?

P.S. I do fish from a boat.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Re: smallmouth fishing?

Trinidad-early June is outstanding for smallies and largemouth. Lake is up to 850 ac. and it should begin clearing up from the runoff soon. Ed

·
Banned
487 Posts

The best smallmouth fishery in the state is the yampa river below craig. You can catch 50 a day from 1 - 3 pounds and sometimes bigger. Best lures are spinners, lipless cranks, curly tail grubs, and the like. Just make sure you release any gamefish caught in the yampa because of the horrible actions the USFWS and the CDOW are doing by removing and slaughtering our gamefish.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You can't take a boat on the Yampa though right. So you fish from shore or a belly boat? I am very interested in any other info. Thanks

·
Registered
24,511 Posts

Waterwolves...

Aurora and Chatfield have good populations...there are many that believe the next state record will come out of one of these locations...

·
Registered
578 Posts

I like Watson Lake for Smallies! There is some nice ones in there. No boats allowed tho, just belly boats. But it is a small lake so belly boats work great. There is also some Tiger Muskies in there.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

Ed Marcol said:
Trinidad-early June is outstanding for smallies and largemouth. Lake is up to 850 ac. and it should begin clearing up from the runoff soon. Ed
Do you recommend waiting for the water clarity to clear up or you still catching them in the murky water, just using a slower presentation?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

I much prefer to fish clear water so I'd wait but thats just me. The murky runoff can put a damper on fishing but the fish are there and feeding. Fish the rocky points/ledges in the lower end of the lake. Ed

·
Registered
174 Posts

Ed's right the fish are still there and feeding. Fishing a runoff situation can be supurb! I think fishing a runoff is good because: 1. It is harder for fish to detect the fine details of your artificial presentation, and you can usually get away with more. 2. Runoff flushes down food - nightcrawlers can be deadly. 3. If the runoff stream is shallow, or small, it's temperature will be closer to the air temp late in the afternoon. Thus, fish in the vacinity of the feeder stream might just be a little more active. Early in the season, these few degrees can make the difference! Fishing a lake/pond this time of year following a heavy rain is great!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

Yeah, you can take a boat on the yampa waterwolves.
Here's a typical, big smallmouth from the yampa

Here is a pic. of a boat proving you can boat on it.

You can also take driftboats and stuff on it.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

That's one thing you west sloapers have that we don't. The YAMPA.. I've always wanted to try that river.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

1eyeReD said:
That's one thing you west sloapers have that we don't. The YAMPA.. I've always wanted to try that river.
good fishery. floated it last year a couple times. 50 smallmouth days are what I had each time, most were only 10-14" or so but about 8 or 9 would be 15-18" and you might get one around 19 or 20". I also got a 12 lb. pike and 15 lb. pike, and had a small 24" pike bite me off that was probably about 4 lb. Too bad the pike are being destroyed. Heck even in the lower section, way below craig in fact, I caught a 16" or so rainbow. There were some big cats I saw too and carp. I can't wait to fish it, should be a great year to hit the yampa ;D If anyone wants to call someone who shuttles quite a few people up there. a popular float is duffy mountain to the maybell bridge, through juniper canyon. If you are using a driftboat, craig to duffy mountain would be a good choice, through the tame and rapidless little yampa canyon. I hit each of those sections once. Both of the areas were really good, although juniper canyon was much better because USFWS cannot damage the fishery in there since they cannot get the boats in there. If anyone wants that guy's number let me know. If you are going to fish the yampa I'll tell you some hot lures and what to look for. (bait didn't work for anything, so I wouldn't use it.)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

TFB,

I'll keep that in mind. Thanx.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks troutfishingbear! I'm going to have to try that. I don't a float tube but you said you can get boats in there. I have a 16'5 Lowe could I get that in the river. If not I might just buy a drift boat.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

waterwolves said:
Thanks troutfishingbear! I'm going to have to try that. I don't a float tube but you said you can get boats in there. I have a 16'5 Lowe could I get that in the river. If not I might just buy a drift boat.
I think it would work if and only if you are a good boater and wouldn't hit the rocks sticking out. I would suggest the craig to duffy mountain float for you, the water is all flat pretty much, in fact the most wild water is right at craig and to say the least that's not wild. I would only take the boat when the water is >1,200 cfs. the big problem with the yampa, especially in drought years, are its flows. Watch them carefully! I suggest going in late june or early july right when it clears up. There is probably only about a 2 week period for you to do it safely and easily with that boat.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Right on Thanks again. I will most likely buy a drift boat or float tube.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

I suggest a pontoon by bucks bags like I have. There is a discussion titled "pontoons" in the flyfishing forum. Check it out!

·
Registered
9 Posts

Ed Marcol said:
I much prefer to fish clear water so I'd wait but thats just me.  The murky runoff can put a damper on fishing but the fish are there and feeding. Fish the rocky points/ledges in the lower end of the lake.  Ed
actually it would be better to fish the murky and muddy waters for bass. with the clearer water it would be easier for bass to see its a lure. but when conditions become blurred, lures like a white or chart spinnerbait will just kill em. look for where the wind would come in and bring the dirt towards the shore like points and secondaries. the clearer water makes bass more apprehensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts