Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you guys, someone throw me a clue.

ive lived in boulder county off and on for the past 20 years and have yet to catch a smallmouth in colorado. anyone want to share any local (boulder/longmont/ftcollins) areas where i might be able to get a chance at one in fairly shallow water on a flyrod? ive heard of them being at Pella Crossing, Sawhill Ponds, and some of the larger reservoirs, but have yet to see one...i would think Pella would have a few...

and if there is nowhere close, then perhaps somewhere further away?

i want a redeye...

·
Banned
487 Posts
Chatfield and Horsetooth have large populations of smallmouth. The best smallmouth fishery in Colorado is the Yampa River below Craig though. Just make sure you release all smallmouth caught in the yampa.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Chatfield has a pretty healthy population of em. I've caught em from 7" all the way up to the 14's and 15's there. I've caught em on Rooster Tails, Rat-L-Traps, and plastic worms. Another good bet would be Horsetooth. From all the reports and exposure that place gets in the magazines, Horsetooth should be teaming with smallies. I like Boyd Lake for smallies too. The marina channel, right up to the rocks, seems to have a good number of smallies too. I'd check that spot out too if I were you. They usually run kinda small there, but I've seen 17 inchers and 18 inchers caught there a few years back.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Two lakes in the southwest part of the state, Navajo and Mcphee have tons of smallies. Mcphee has lots in the 10 - 15" range and bigger, and Navajo has bigger ones and is better overall. But both are good. If you want numbers and trophies, the Yampa is the place. Jordanelle Reservoir in Utah may have the best big smallmouth fishery in our whole region though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Chatfield has some around 15 inches in between the marina and the handicap fishing dock. We caught them off of mepps and minnows.

John

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The yampa river is excellent. Last summer on a float I caught some real marble eyes including a beast that nearly went 5 pounds. I caught over 50 total smallies in one day, with about 10 in the 2-3 pound range, and the nearly 5 pounder I mentioned. I also landed a huge pike. I caught the fish on panther martin spinners and rattletraps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The yampa has great smallmouth for now Dow has siad it will keep shocking them .
Ice,
we have caught them in boulder res. and horsetooth.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
They say the state record is swimming in Chatfield...I have caught a ton of little ones there in the rocks by the north boat ramp and on the dam...the largest only 16 inches...I heard the guy that does the Fan950 fishing show on Saturdays and the TV fishing show did a show from Chatfield last weekend and did pretty well...the best ones I have caught have been Aurora to 4.5 pounds...Senac cove and the dam on occasion...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
At harvey gap in late march I believe an angler from grand junction caught a smallmouth that nearly was 6 pounds on a state certified scale. When they got the DOW officer there though, the people had already fileted the fish... :( Might as well throw something that big back I think because it ain't gonna taste good and harvey's bass population is nothing compared to what it used to be.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Crankbaits and tubes will out fish anything else. I witnessed a guy catch two 5+ smallies in a row at chatfield and into the the livewell they went.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have only started fishing smallies last year but A tube or a spinner bait will normally get some attention. I have had 100+ fish days in the boat hoping this year to get a jet skier. 19 1/2" was the biggest smallie we took last year.

Fish

·
Registered
603 Posts
the New pella ponds that are on the west side of the tracks have smallies and a ton of perch in there. Float tube and bank access only, The alge/weeds get pretty bad later in the year so hit it early.
Brett

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've caught smallies in Boulder Res. while fishing the dams for walleyes. I'm not really sure how many are in there, though.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Like I said, it should've came from harvey gap. I bet it comes out of the yampa, it has some monsters...and a fair share of dinks.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
whats the best lure to use to catch smallmouth at chatfield i do real good wit a blue senko but i;m not to famailiar what they like the best

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I haven't caught many smallmouth in lakes, only incidentally while fishing for walleye at juniata. But on the yampa, they really like panther martin spinners, rattletraps, and curly tail grubs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts