Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never caught a smallie and i was just wondering if anybody has gotton a smallie from shore without using bait?Thanx and has anybody ever got a smallie from lowell ponds?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Near Fort Collins/Loveland, Horsetooth and Lake Loveland both have good Smallmouth populations. I've done well at both places on chartruese jigs tipped with half a nightcrawler. Chatfield also has a ton of smallies, and it's hard to get skunked fishing off the dam with live baitfish, jigs or plastic worms. I've also heard great things about Aurora smallies but have never fished there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Horsetooth Has a nice population of Small Mouth. One was so nice I put the picture of me holding it on my business card. Nice fish.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Neal,
Are you using tube jigs for the smallies at Aurora?
They have worked for me in the past but this year it's been tougher for me. Finesse worms?
Last fall I hooked into a monster smallie off a point
and as he jumped out of the water, he spit the tube.
I've been after him ever since.
Hammer

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Finesse worms, swimming 4" grubs and flukes on a light jighead.

No giants this year :mad: But good numbers! I have seen some huge smallies swim by though :eek:

·
Banned
487 Posts
The Yampa River is Colorado's best smallmouth fishery. You have to wade through some small ones, but smallies over 3 pounds are common and I have seen them up over five.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you want to catch smallies this time of year its easy.

Fish chatfield 2 hours before dark untill 2 hours after dark.

Top water bait along rocks or in structur {spelling}

I have caught 10+ every time I have been out to that lake in this time period using this method.

I never get to excited though because I have found 99.999 percent of smallies in colorado waters are to small to keep. As a matter of fact I have caught over 500 smallies my self and have never caught a keeper on any metro lake, including aurora union, horse, chat, cherry, adams county fg, I do not know if I am jus un lucky or if DOW has issues in theire progam..

Maybe I am not a good fisherman for bass but I have tried every tecniQue from bottom bouncing to surface poppers for bass..

If you ask me though a 12 inch smallie fights better than a 24 inch rainbow. I dont care about the circumstance.

SOOO if you are looking to catch fish and not keep them, want to have a great fight, use my techniQue as listed earlier in the post.

MRPLOW

·
Registered
27 Posts
BTW there is nothing more exciting than getting a big bass to hit 2 feet from your boat on a top water bait in pitch black dark. Even if my idea of a big bass is a 12 incher.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i heard a record small mouth was pulled out of that little lake off of kipling and florida, i forgot what the name of it was, i never caught a small mouth, may be by the end of summer ill get lucky.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea i live by there it was either smith or east reservior.But there were two previous records here i haven't fished them yet but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i want to go for somthing new, if the record came from those lakes, phew!! there should be good fishing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i heard a record small mouth was pulled out of that little lake off of kipling and florida, i forgot what the name of it was, i never caught a small mouth, may be by the end of summer ill get lucky.
I think we could be talking about Smith Reservoir. There were 2 state record smallies from here but that was decades ago before the residential buildout.

There are still a few smallmouth (largemouth too) in here but man is it tough going sometimes...and lots of carp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts