the cars that my son used on his science project are hot wheel cars
that only traveld 36 inches

well please help
and thanks for any help i can get

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I'm not to smart, but,

Time the car over the 36 in section (in seconds)

36 in 3600 sec 1 ft 1 mile
_____ X _________ X _____ X _______ = miles per hour

actual time (sec) 1 HR 12 in 5280 ft

Reduced,

2.045 divided by time in seconds = miles per hour.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thats smart

so if the car went .41 seconds in the 36 inchs how fast is that

please show how you did it so when i tell the wife i look smart

and i need all the help i can get to look smart

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
this might be a litlle simpler

google tells me

"1 inches / second = 0.0568181818 mile / hour"

so extrapolate your 36" per 0.41 seconds out to inches per second, to do this divide 1 by .41 which equals about 2.4390243902439024390243902439024
now use this number and multipy it by 36 this will give you how many inches per second then multiply that by the number i got from google
if you only work it out to 4 decimal points it would look like this
36 inches/0.41 sec =87.804 inches/1 second

ok well simpler might not have been the best way to start out but it is the simples way for me

good luck 5 mph is pretty quick for a hot wheel
(1/0.41=2.439)
(36X2.439=87.804)
now multiply 87.804 times 0.0568 and that equals 4.9872

so if
"1 inches / second = 0.0568181818 mile / hour"

then 36 inches/0.41 seconds =87.804 inches/1 second

then 87.804 inches /1 second = 4.9872 miles/hour

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
TAL and roadkill are both entirely correct and I can't improve on their reasoning, but I might offer still one more way of looking at it.

When you are into math problems, you can always translate "per" to mean "divided by". So "miles per hour" is the miles traveled divided by the time in hours that it took.

In your case the car went feet instead of miles, and it took only a fraction of a second instead of hours. But you can figure its speed in feet per second and then convert that to miles per hour. It takes two steps.

1. Calculate the speed in feet per second.
3 feet divided by 0.41 seconds = 7.317 feet per second.
(follow this on a calculator.)

2. Convert feet per second to miles per hour by first multiplying by
3600 (the no. of seconds in an hour) and then dividing by 5280
(the number of feet in a mile).
7.317 X 3600 = 26341.46341
26341.46341 / 5280 = 4.9889

So the car went 4.9889 miles per hour.

Different calculators may vary when you get past the second decimal place, depending on how many digits they carry. Anyway, I would round that off to 4.99 because your time measurement is probably no more accurate than that.

W. E.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
WE,

Hummm... So, if I do happened to be correct, does this increase my chances of catching a big fish this year, as Ken has previously elucidated? Or am I destine to catch only fish that Dan would haughty? Has Blonde hair been entirely ruled out?

T

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Well, I lean towards Ken's theory because I think smart people should be good anglers. But I'll tell you what really, really increases your chances of catching a big fish, and that's having a hook in the water. You might want to work on that. (heh, heh) ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Man I sure do like how smart my husband is!  hahahaha  Well at least I give him credit to try to impress me by coming to this group of smart people.  Thanks everyone for your help. 

Just an FYI, If he ever asks "How to dispose of a body", PLEASE don't give him the answer.  And then someone please come looking for me or call the police!!!!

hahahaha!!!!  Just kidding ;D............... (I hope! :eek:)

fishingkatswife

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
fishingkatswife said:
Just an FYI, If he ever asks "How to dispose of a body", PLEASE don't give him the answer.
Dang, I waited all last year for someone to ask me that question, and now I'm forbidden to answer it. There is no justice in the world.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
TAL0362 said:
WE,

Hummm... So, if I do happened to be correct, does this increase my chances of catching a big fish this year, as Ken has previously elucidated? Or am I destine to catch only fish that Dan would haughty? Has Blonde hair been entirely ruled out?

T
Tal, I like your reasoning/work behind this problem the best. It has the least rounding and is probably the most exact method. Gotta love it...reminds me of AP Chemistry all over again....lol....

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fishingkatswife said:
Man I sure do like how smart my husband is!  hahahaha  Well at least I give him credit to try to impress me by coming to this group of smart people.  Thanks everyone for your help. 

Just an FYI, If he ever asks "How to dispose of a body", PLEASE don't give him the answer.  And then someone please come looking for me or call the police!!!!

hahahaha!!!!  Just kidding ;D............... (I hope! :eek:)

fishingkatswife
he's a katfisherman, he already knows how to dispose of body parts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts