Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  Hopefully you know what I am talking about, it is a little green submarine looking thing they sell at Gander. You cast it out with your pole and it sends a reading back to a unit on your pole to show you the bottom structure and depth and any fish in the water. I bought it last summer before I had a boat and still use it at lakes where boats are not allowed. I think it is great for telling what the bottom looks like and looking for structure but the fish finder is a little off. It will tell me there are ten fish piled up together in a couple of feet of water and I will check the area and there is nothing. It is probably picking up minnows or fingerlings, but is there some way to separate out small, small fish from catchable sized ones. Does the sensetivity on these units go with the bigger number or the smaller number? I lost the directions when I moved. Has anyone else used these or like them?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the general feel i get for those units is that they may be good for depth and basic botom contures like finding a drop off or a brush pile they just dont have the power or computing capacity to reliably "find fish" you may be seeing "fish" that are float in debris like bits of weeds and such or just clutter that the unit tags as fish

·
Registered
97 Posts
  Higher the number higher the sensativity, I have one also and use it for the same purpose, it shows depth and bottom good, but for marking fish it's iffy at best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts