Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The guy who first posted his idea over on ice shanty forum was "Smitty." I imagine he'd be pissed!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Sheesh, overbuild a bit? I'm sure the quality is great, but damn, really?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I wonder if it is under a grand?

Bud Sr had a really great idea on the same vein...he used a section of aluminum ladder on each side to attach to each ski...throw up a picture bud sr!...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks Grab. well at least I tried LOL Maybe its not a good idea to clue me in on the pictures thingy LOL

What's nice about it is the skies are held on my the black knobs, that have 3/8 inch studs and can remove the pieces of ladder, the tub is held on with bungy cords that are now bolted to the ladder and hook into the washers that re-inforce the plastic of the tub. I also made a "Wagon" to carry the tub/sled when there is no snow.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are a lot of great "Smitty Sleds on IceShanty. There is a thread over there that invited everyone to show off their twists on making them. one even folds up, endless ideas.:smile:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I wonder if it is under a grand?

Bud Sr had a really great idea on the same vein...he used a section of aluminum ladder on each side to attach to each ski...throw up a picture bud sr!...
On the fb page they commented on a pic saying around $400

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good Grief, that's a long way from making your own, skies are not that hard to find for next to nothing, then about the only cost would be what couple $ if you didn't have any bolts or screws. I must have enough 2x6 here to make 1,000's

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Whole idea by Smitty was a light weight, easy to build, easy assembled, easy pulling, easy disassembled $15 sled.

Read on IS Smitty sent the company an email with his dissatisfaction over the use of his name and design without permission. Lawsuit coming?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Whole idea by Smitty was a light weight, easy to build, easy assembled, easy pulling, easy disassembled $15 sled.

Read on IS Smitty sent the company an email with his dissatisfaction over the use of his name and design without permission. Lawsuit coming?
I'm no lawyer but my thought would be that he will be fine unless Smitty has a copyright... or patent or whatever the legal paperwork that would be required is.

About the sleds..... Pretty cool but no way i'd drop $400 on one. I'd do the traditional Smitty style and build my own.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Made two like this, best way I've found to transport gear even in snow cover.
That is one of the more practical designs, pops apart for easy transport, I still have a set of skies and will do one like that, the idea of the ladder one was so I could sit on it, and not have to bend over getting things out. I must have some bigger bolts around here someplace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts