Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some new ways to cook my fish and decided to try stove top smoking for a nice piece of pike that I had. This was my first attempt at smoking fish on my gas stove. I appreciate any tips from the pros out there but here's how I did it.

First, I took a big chunk of mesquite and drilled it with a large wood bit to make a good amount of fine shavings and dust. Maybe two tablespoons total.

Next, I had a big old Calphalon frying pan used for car camping and I placed the mesquite shavings in the bottom of it. Then took a 9" pie tin, lined it with aluminum foil, rubbed a bit of olive oil over the foil to prevent the fish from sticking. I seasoned the pike lightly and placed it in the pie tin.

I set the pie tin directly on top of the mesquite shavings in the frying pan, covered it with a big lid and then placed it over the highest possible heat.

I had smoke within five minutes and the fish was cooked in about ten minutes (actually a little overdone for my taste). It had excellent smoky flavor from what amounted to about two tablespoons of shavings. It didn't smoke up the house either.

Does anyone want to share their secrets with this technique (or similar)? Any advice?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
If I did that in my kitchen, my wife would probably leave me forever. You might want to look into buying a smoker. LOL :D
If you were lucky she would only leave you...more likely she would make ambulatory leucocephalus mountain oysters!!!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
zman said:
Walking Eagle said:
If I did that in my kitchen, my wife would probably leave me forever. You might want to look into buying a smoker. LOL :D
If you were lucky she would only leave you...more likely she would make ambulatory leucocephalus mountain oysters!!!
I had to Google "leucocephalus", but I actually think I got this one. Where did you learn that word, let alone how to spell it?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
The same way you did dummy!...I looked it up...(no dummies feelings were hurt in this rebuttle as that is his nickname)...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a nice Cabelas propane/charcoal/wood smoker out on the deck but that's too much volume to heat for a few fillets. The idea is to impart the smoky flavor quickly with minimum energy usage.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Dude, you been watching Iron Chef: Battle Pike? :D :D :D

Sounds good, but didn't your smoke detectors wake up the whole neighborhood?!? ;) (I live in a townhome - sometimes it's like being in college all over again!)

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I think they have liquid smoke in the baking aisle at the grocery store...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
_colorado said:
I have a nice Cabelas propane/charcoal/wood smoker out on the deck but that's too much volume to heat for a few fillets. The idea is to impart the smoky flavor quickly with minimum energy usage.
I find it important for the flavor of the smoke that your chips be soaked. With dry chips I find the smoke has an astringent overpoweringly smokey flavor that I do not like. But almost every kind of hot smoke does except for this method....
I do it on the gas grill sometimes (very quick), with a deep, coated thin aluminum baking dish. Soak small chips and dry slightly.
Put pan on hot grill
Get a cookie rack or veggie grill rack that fits inside the pan at least 1" above the bottom (room for chips). Put fish on rack
Once the chips start to smoke slightly, add your rack with fish, and cover tightly, as soon as it starts to smoke pretty good remove it from the heat, this shouldnt take more than five minutes. Depending on how smokey you want it, let it sit for up to ten minutes. I personally remove the foil right away.
Brine has alot to do with the flavor of the fish, imo, I like a little brown sugar 25%,a little white sugar 25% and salt 50%. Fish I do not let sit in brine more than few hours.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fistfullafish - like the brine idea. Thanks. I forgot to mention that I did wet the shavings so it would be a slow burn.

Nancy - Iron Chef - Battle Pike? Really? Did I miss it? That's a good one. :D

zman - what are we going to do with you? If you spent less time fishing you might be more creative in other areas. ;) Maybe Liquid smoke is the way to go, worth a shot.

Thanks for the comments and ideas everyone!

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you were to add a nice bottle of Merlot to the offering ( say a 2006 Duckhorn or a 2004 Stags Leap), Mrs. _Colorado would be much more receptive to the " Smoked Pike in a Pan" technique.

it may be easier if you could give up your stinky Pike fascination and smoke normal fish like Rainbows and Lakers. or, go to Williams Sonoma and order one of their Fancy smoker/chaffing dish thing's.

Maybe you could bring Mrs._colorado, the wood chips, the chitlin's and the smoking dish to Westcliffe next weekend and we could have a smoke off smack down! ;D ;D ;D

FC

Actually the brine technique is off the hook!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts