Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I like to use a bong or roll them up in a joint. I also like to do snow caps with them. Load it in the bowl and cap it with some garlic.

Great buzz.

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
I've tried and tried and both times ended up wasting a couple of trout it's been a heart breaker for me. I even bought a fancy commercial style smoker.

I too would love to hear any tips.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
I've smoked tons of trout.First I fillet the fish. Soak it in a marinade of brown sugar and teriyaki. A couple hours at least.Before placing in the smoker I sprinkle with pepper,hot sauce,whatever.It helps to have a smoker where you can control the heat. You want to cook it slow,like several hours. Check often till you figure out the time,heat etc. Good luck

L

·
0 Posts
I like to use a bong or roll them up in a joint. I also like to do snow caps with them.
I don't understand,,, Is that like a new oriental fusion style cooking?

M

·
0 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I've smoked tons of trout.First I fillet the fish. Soak it in a marinade of brown sugar and teriyaki. A couple hours at least.Before placing in the smoker I sprinkle with pepper,hot sauce,whatever.It helps to have a smoker where you can control the heat. You want to cook it slow,like several hours. Check often till you figure out the time,heat etc. Good luck
Slayer, how much wood do you use (asked in a different way - how long do you "smoke" them - 10mins, 15mins,?). My first experience I followed smoker directions to a tee and ended up with trout jerky that tasted like ash. The second time wasn't as bad but still too much smoke.

I've also hear to add a pan of water. Does that help?

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Yes Ken,I leave the skin on the 1 side. Personally I dont do the water thing, but some soak the wood chips in water till they are soaked through,it lets them smoke longer. I use like a handful of chips in a shallow container on the heating coils. I use the handful at the beginning of smoking and again halfway through or so. The amount depends on the amount of meat you are smoking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've also hear to add a pan of water. Does that help?
Depending on your smoker this can be key.
As Slayer states he has a smoker where he can adjust the temperature.

The water regulates the temperature which makes sure the smoker cannot exceed 225 Degrees, so if you have a charcoal smoker, or cannot control temperature this is the way you do it.
Also the water will add some humidity to the smoker so the edges do not get too dried out.

Make sure your soaking your Wood in water (I usually put the wood in water the day before), dry wood will not smoke well, and just burn up.

The best way is to butterfly the Trout, Remove the Rib Bones and leave the skin on. Lay open face (Meat side up) on the grills, Sprinkle your favorite seasonings, Lemon Pepper, BBQ seasoning, or BBQ Sauce. Or just Lemon, Salt and Pepper. Marinating is up to your preference.

If the smoker is @225 degrees when you put the fish on it will take from between 30 and 45 minutes sometimes a little longer. As with all good recipes you should experiment, there are tons of different kinds of wood available these days, Mesquite, Hickory, Alder, Apple, Cherry, and Maple. Depends if you use Chunks, or Chips, But I would only put enough wood so it smokes for 15 minutes before it burns out.

Hope this helps

D

·
0 Posts
I do something similar to Slayer's recipe, but you can omit the Terryaki for a different flavor and use honey instead of brown sugar along with salt and pickiling spice. Soak for 24 hours. I also use liquid, but use apple juice instead of water. If you want the precise recipe send me a PM and I'll dig it up.

If you Google smoked trout brine recipe you'll get tons of hits and some great sounding recipes, although I haven't tried them all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW............! Thanks for the tips...
I've smoked all different kinds of meat before, just never any fish. I appreciate the info. I'll see what I can pull off this weekend. That is, if I catch any trout... ::) Again thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
I agree - thanks for everyone's help. I'll give it a try again in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
for those of you in colorado springs Andys meat market on platte smokes fish its 1 dollar a pound with a 8 dollar minimum. its pretty good stuff some of you might want to try some basic smoked fish before jumping in and getting your own smoker just letting u know

·
Registered
863 Posts
I agree W/Jay_in_Parker, the first time it was hard to get those trophy trout into the pipe so I started keeping little one's, you know like the one's Slayerfish keeps!.. ;D.. I'm shutting off my phone now so he doesn't bother me while I'm going to tell everyone how I smoke fish.
But I'm no expert.

I like Slayerfish keep it easy and basic. I do mine even more basic. I soak the trout head on or off depending on the mood, skin on either way. Soak in the fridg. a few hours or more in heavy salt and some brown sugar (the brown sugar gives the trout a nice brown glow to them), then in the smoker they go. (spinkle with pepper, season salt, lemon salt, personal preferance). I use charcoal w/wood chips in the charcoal as a base to keep the wet wood going. Maintaining the constant smoke and heat. Not to hot, the right temperature is the key. You don't want to cook the trout per say, just smoke em! Usually 2-3 hours for small trout.

For wood I use apple, peach, hikory, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts