Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with the DOW REGs? You can shoot carp with a Bow or spear gun according to the regulations but you can not legally snag carp. What sense does this make? It is just as sporting and just as difficult. I emailed the DOW and they replied back that you can snag any fish but unless it is a kokanee salmon it must be returned to the water immediately! Sounds like we got our selves a bunch of carp lovers to me. Any way just wanted to get that off my chest what do you guys think? Don't get me wrong I don't want to go out snagging bass or trout but I think it is an effective way to remove some carp out of our waters.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Why is it ok to snag carp and not bass or trout then?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
ePic......you da man!!!!I agree 110%.

And for the record I am a carp lover. I think carp are under-rated and deserve more respect then they get.

IMO

-Jay

·
Registered
636 Posts
I was at Barr Lake and was trying to snag them suckers for about two hours. I finally managed to get one and the ranger that was there didn't mind at all. He just asked what I was going to do with it. He said if I was going to eat it I should smoke it but it was for my girlfriends mom who wanted to make some type of soup. He didn't care that I snagged it. I do not snag carp for fun or kill them just to let you all know. I think that they are ugly but there is no point in just killing them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL. 49% of the people trying to get the lakes catch and release, 49% trying to get the limits increased and the other 2% are trying to save the carp.

I am an equal opportunity snagger. some of the best fun I have had was snagging 30 - 40 lb king salmon in alaska

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carp are terrible for fisheries I wish the DOw would spend as much time trying to get rid of the carp at 11 mile as they do the pike.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Carp are okay, but if they overpopulate they can harm water quality and take up a lot of space. The only time I snagged a carp it was with a crankbait by accident while bass fishing. Over a hundred yards of 6 pound line later, I didn't have my excalibur fat free fry anymore.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I heard that many dont like carp. and they want to keep sport fish but not carp anymore. That may have a part in it, you think. ???

·
Registered
636 Posts
No matter how much most people hate carp, they will never go away. This is a fact so we just have to learn to except these ugly things. I admit that I used to catch them as a kid and crush them with rocks or stab them a million times but now I just throw them back and say "Damn, I thought that was a wiper at first, it fought hard." I'd rather catch a carp instead of a skunk.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not a big fan of carp, but I did figure out one good use for them. I have new tackle, and I need to set the drag, test knots, and practice my big fish fighting skills. What better way to practice than to hook big carp?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point Road Kill I think you hit the nail on the head!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Boomer said:
What is the deal with the DOW REGs? You can shoot carp with a Bow or spear gun according to the regulations but you can not legally snag carp. What sense does this make? It is just as sporting and just as difficult. I emailed the DOW and they replied back that you can snag any fish but unless it is a kokanee salmon it must be returned to the water immediately! Sounds like we got our selves a bunch of carp lovers to me. Any way just wanted to get that off my chest what do you guys think? Don't get me wrong I don't want to go out snagging bass or trout but I think it is an effective way to remove some carp out of our waters.
WOW. that is exactly the way i feel. Carp can RUIN FISHERIES!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts