Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a chance to snag salmon in Colorado but have heard a lot about it. I've also heard that you can fly fish for the Koke's when they prepare to make their false spawning run.

I work with an employee who's brother always fly's up here in either September or October to fly fish for salmon and have heard that he catches salmon on flies until his hands and arms hurt.

Where and when can a novice fly fisherman such as myself go to experience this event, and what type of fly wouild you recommend?
Has anyone else had a similar experience in Colorado?

Pete

Pete

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
I havent fly fished for them,but I,ve caught a bunch of spawning kokes on small pink jigs. Sometimes draggin 'em on the bottom or under a bobber.Some days you can catch more than snaggin!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've caught a few kokes making their spawning run up the Dream Stream but never until my "hands and arms hurt"! Just a few and I wasn't intentionally fishing for them either. And, if I recall correctly, I was probably using the typical nymphing 2 fly stuff: scud and BH Black Beauty or BH RS2. But the typical low flows of the Dream Stream in the fall would make it an ideal place to catch 'em and maybe some bows as well!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have snagged them and it not much of a sport or fun. You can catch them pretty easy on the bugs described above. Great fight on a fly rod!

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
I must say that I've snagged 'em till my arms fell off!Once you get the hang of it its not very sporting though-

N

·
0 Posts
I have definently had a bruise on my sternum the size of a fighting butt and felt like i had broken my arm after a long day of coho and chinook in WA. But never in CO. I have always had luck at the dream stream using similar tactics as Norwest salmonids. Bounce a small pink shrimp with an egg pattern coming off the end. RS2s and Black Beautys have also brought me fish in the past. Also try arching a small ESL, green is best.
Its a different game than snagging, you actually have to catch the fish, ya know, in the mouth.
Hope that helps. Good fishing.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I fished Dream Stream two years ago and did well on the kokes...but i guess last year didnt have a good run, so i never made it up. im hoping this year might be better for both the run and the flows so maybe the fishing will be ok. my favorite rig for kokes is just a orange or wine colored san juan worm with a brightly colored midge as a trailer...the san juan is easy to see, and the kokes will usually hit it or the midge if you get it in from of them. it seems you foul a lot of fish using this method, so its not always "snag proof" but if you are carefull you can get them to usually eat it with no problem. its also good practice for someone thats new to fly fishing, as you can see the fish take and also get plenty of practice obtaining good drifts and playing fish. its fun for awhile, but after hooking 20 or 30 of them it can get kinda dull...but i still look forward to the run every year.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys! I want to give snagging and flyfishing a try, but can only imagine that its gotta be a kick to catch them on the fly rod.

When in September or October will the runs start?

Pete

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Pete said:
Thank you guys! I want to give snagging and flyfishing a try, but can only imagine that its gotta be a kick to catch them on the fly rod.

When in September or October will the runs start?

Pete
Some places snagging isnt allowed, so make sure you take a glance at the regs before you head out...and as far as i know between Spinney and 11 Mile you cant keep fish, kokes included...so snagging might be a no-no...ill check the regs on that one.

as far as the run...it varies. i think the east and gunnison river start fairly early, like Sept, but in other areas like the South Platte above 11 mile it might be later, like oct/nov. The Blue has a good run of salmon too sometimes, so my advice is keep your eyes on the reports come september and hope for a good year...

i hear the Gunnison has the best run of bigger fish....but some of the ones ive taken out of Spinney arent exactly small...

heres some pics from the last run i fished...

my roommate...

this pic reminds me of my girlfriends dog...all teeth.

and as i said...youll foul hook quite few trying to get them to eat....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice photos Rottal... I am so looking forward to that fall run. Thanks again all.

Pete

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
those are some nice kokes, ive never tryed fly fishing for salmon any suggestions on tippet size, i have some pink flys and orange san wauns so hopefully ill get some, im heading up to gunnison next month the run up there is awesome, its all catch and release

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
you can pretty much use 3x or 4x flourocarbon, they arent too shy...

bring some chartruese egg patterns and even some larger chartruese flies....they like that color sometimes along with reds and pinks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Please don't snag the kokes. Yes, they will die anyway, but it's just not very sporting.  They will chew the beejesus out of a number of flys. Here's what I like:

Bead headBlack Wooley Bugger
Purple Egg-Sucking Leach Bugger
Bead Head Olive Bugger
Mormon Girl
Kokanee Killer
Micky Finn
Bloody Butcher
Blue Copper John
Red Copper John
Bead Head Prince Nymph

I have found that the Kokes will SLAM a patern for about 30 minutes, and then it will just shut off. SWITCH YOUR FLY NOW!!  Then enjoy another 30 minutes of hot fishing.  Use lots of weight so you are just off the bottom. They will hit very soft most of the time, but occasionally knock the crap out of it. Once you are hooked up......well........hold on.  They will actually start running in about 2-3 weeks up at Blue.  This is THE BEST time to catchem...while they are still silver and fresh out of the lake.  It is my favorite type of fishing in Colorado hands down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok I?m new here too, and would like to try salmon on a fly. I just took a look at the fishing regs and as far as I can tell you can fish for salmon on the blue any time and snag for them starting in sept and ending in dec I think. I didn?t see any thing about catch and release of salmon, or bag limits on the Blue, so am I right to assume that the state wide bag limit of 10 apply to salmon on the Blue?

Also what weight gear do you guys use, is a 6 weight enough or should I bring my 8 weight?

D

·
0 Posts
A 6 wt. is plenty. With an 8 wt. you'd be way overgunned.

By "Blue", I think folks are referring to the Gunnison above Blue Mesa Res. I've never gone over and fished for them there.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The Blue River, which flows below Dillon, also has Kokes...thought not a huge run, they do usually show up around the Sept time frame...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive heard of them making it pretty far...but im not sure if they make it all the way into town. they might though, so i cant say for sure. i do know most guys go downriver to find them...

F

·
0 Posts
I went snagging on the blue last year ....its pretty much fisherman hell dudes every two feet and boats casting in between people on the shore ....its like all rules including picking up trash giving people space not crossing someones line...non of that applies ....sounds like a fun way to fish what do you guys think of the florocarbon tippit and leaders is it worth it...any suggestions on a pair of reasonably priced waders ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts