Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,760 Posts
I fished Dream Stream two years ago and did well on the kokes...but i guess last year didnt have a good run, so i never made it up. im hoping this year might be better for both the run and the flows so maybe the fishing will be ok. my favorite rig for kokes is just a orange or wine colored san juan worm with a brightly colored midge as a trailer...the san juan is easy to see, and the kokes will usually hit it or the midge if you get it in from of them. it seems you foul a lot of fish using this method, so its not always "snag proof" but if you are carefull you can get them to usually eat it with no problem. its also good practice for someone thats new to fly fishing, as you can see the fish take and also get plenty of practice obtaining good drifts and playing fish. its fun for awhile, but after hooking 20 or 30 of them it can get kinda dull...but i still look forward to the run every year.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Pete said:
Thank you guys! I want to give snagging and flyfishing a try, but can only imagine that its gotta be a kick to catch them on the fly rod.

When in September or October will the runs start?

Pete
Some places snagging isnt allowed, so make sure you take a glance at the regs before you head out...and as far as i know between Spinney and 11 Mile you cant keep fish, kokes included...so snagging might be a no-no...ill check the regs on that one.

as far as the run...it varies. i think the east and gunnison river start fairly early, like Sept, but in other areas like the South Platte above 11 mile it might be later, like oct/nov. The Blue has a good run of salmon too sometimes, so my advice is keep your eyes on the reports come september and hope for a good year...

i hear the Gunnison has the best run of bigger fish....but some of the ones ive taken out of Spinney arent exactly small...

heres some pics from the last run i fished...

my roommate...

this pic reminds me of my girlfriends dog...all teeth.

and as i said...youll foul hook quite few trying to get them to eat....

· Registered
2,760 Posts
you can pretty much use 3x or 4x flourocarbon, they arent too shy...

bring some chartruese egg patterns and even some larger chartruese flies....they like that color sometimes along with reds and pinks.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
The Blue River, which flows below Dillon, also has Kokes...thought not a huge run, they do usually show up around the Sept time frame...

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Ive heard of them making it pretty far...but im not sure if they make it all the way into town. they might though, so i cant say for sure. i do know most guys go downriver to find them...

· Registered
2,760 Posts
fishinguitars said:
I went snagging on the blue last year ....its pretty much fisherman hell dudes every two feet and boats casting in between people on the shore ....its like all rules including picking up trash giving people space not crossing someones line...non of that applies ....sounds like a fun way to fish what do you guys think of the florocarbon tippit and leaders is it worth it...any suggestions on a pair of reasonably priced waders ?
Try Cabelas for some reasonably priced breathables...Simms or Patagonia or the more popular brand names will be fairly expensive---300-400+ dollars for the Gore Tex models. Cabelas makes a decent breathable wader---theres lots of selections in varying price ranges that should suit your need. look for something with articulated knees (that bend and flex with your leg movement) and that are made with several layers on areas that wear out...the knees, usually. also look at the the booties--- try to get ones that are cut from a foot shaped design, not just a generic 'booty' shaped foot..it will fit better and be more comfortable if you walk a lot. for boots the Cabelas lightweights are hard to beat, ive worn Orvis and Simms and they dont hold up to the Cabelas boot in my experience....and are half the price (also get a size larger than your usual foot size so they arent too tight)

I fish flourocarbon tippet whenever i nymph or streamer fish...its more abrasion resistant and is smaller diameter and less visible..but it takes awhile to get used to tying knots with it...its texture is a bit different and you have to be sure to wet it when you seat your knot. its a bit dense to be using for dry flies, (it sinks) so for that i tend to use regular mono.

As far as leaders...it might be overkill depending on where you fish. ive fished them before, but my catch ratio hasnt been any higher than when i fished mono leaders. maybe if i was fishing a spring creek or extremely clear lake or pond, but for the most part i dont think spending 10 dollars a leader is too cost effective if you change you leaders as much as i do. a long flouro tippet is usually enough...in my thinkiing. if you have any specific questions on a product of what not, feel free to PM me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.