Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the report on skagway reminded me of something. Last year in October i was up there and some of the fish i caught had stomachs full of snails. When i picked them up i thought they had a belly full of rocks. Has anyone ever tried to simulate a snail with a fly or anything else? They only seemed to be eating them in the late fall time frame.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I wonder if these are new zealand mud snails? I didnt keep any of my fish or I'd check. I've never used a snail pattern, but I'm sure some nymphs can look like them. Now I definately have to go back and check on snails.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am not sure. I do know that if they are, they have been in this lake for about 7 years. I remember pulling the old anchor up and they would be stuck on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

I've fished a couple of lakes where the fall feed is snails. The rainbows would be cruising the weed beds eating snails - and like you describe the bellys felt like there were full of marbles. We would tie smallish wooly buggers similar in size and color to the snails. There was never a problem getting them to bite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts