Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I hate to report a skunk I figured I’d let you all know I’ve been practicing a lot of casting in the dark.

I’ve been practicing casting from shore at Cherry Creek, Aurora, Soda, Chatty, and Bear Creek. I’m hoping one day here I will get lucky and put a productive pattern to these walleye to validate all of this practice.

Is everyone else practicing or is there some catching going on with these eyes from shore (pre-spawn, spawn, ect)? Are they moving in yet??

Thanks to those of you who have given me advice, hopefully I’ll have a report with pics for you soon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You definitely do not need a boat for the month of March. Fish your jerkbaits agonizingly slow this time of year and try to hit lot of nights rather than long nights but less frequently. When you least expect it you will catch the biggest walleye of your life. Just gotta keep at it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I haven't had any good numbers nights. Just 1-2 quality fish after casting persistently. I boated chatty the other night. The wind was brutal but I will tell you the fish are on the dam. Fishing the dam closes march 15th so get out there while it lasts.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Fishing a jerk? Thats my guess but you don't say.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been fishing smaller plastics like twister tails and paddle tails along with rouges and rapalas and snapping spoons thru the different water columns. I use 6lb line

next I'm going to try leeches below a slip bobber and when that does not work I know some guys like dynamite

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've been fishing smaller plastics like twister tails and paddle tails along with rouges and rapalas and snapping spoons thru the different water columns. I use 6lb line

next I'm going to try leeches below a slip bobber and when that does not work I know some guys like dynamite
Too early for leeches. Eyes are chasing shad and other small fish. Likelihood of finding leeches right now is zero. Minnesota provides most leeches and they usually don't have them until may. Keep throwing those baits persistence will pay off.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yep Scott Ducky is right leeches need water temps in the mid 50's or they ball up...

I know of a 34.25 x 18.25 last week that wasnt weighed or kept from a very reliable source and not a guide...I plugged the numbers into a couple of walleye calculators...16 lbs and change...keep doing what u r doing...

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I cannot fathom putting in the hard work and agony night fishing for the "ONE" and then not weigh it?
Is it just me?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I cannot fathom putting in the hard work and agony night fishing for the "ONE" and then not weigh it?
Is it just me?
No kidding! What gets me is when people estimate poundage, people call bs, poster gets mad and digs in with claim.
Get a decent-good scale, weigh the mofo, take pic of weight, and no one will ever talk chit. Otherwise dont claim the dang weight. Easy enough

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yes sir. I have off Friday and Saturday. I'm planning on going tomorrow as well. That's right I bought it the day after you got the 5.88 bigbow

1 - 20 of 22 Posts