Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SNAKE RIVER CUTTHROAT SETS STATE RECORD

To call this trout a lunker would be an understatement: 33 inches long, 17 pounds, 2.6 ounces.

That?s the size of the Snake River cutthroat trout caught Aug. 28, 2005, in the Blue River by Rob Peckham, 48, of Oak Creek, CO. The fish set a state record for that species.

The size of the fish was confirmed by Bill Atkinson, aquatic biologist for the Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) in Steamboat Springs.

Peckham, who has been fishing all his life, caught the fish while floating the river below Green Mountain Dam. He was using a rainbow-colored Rapala on spin-casting gear. Peckham explained that he has fished that section several times and had seen big trout there. Normally a fly fisherman, Peckham said he switched to spinning gear because he didn?t think he?d be able to bring in a giant trout on a fly rod.

?I knew there were big fish in there, but I was surprised when I caught one,? Peckham said.

Because the fish is not native to Colorado, the DOW has established Peckham?s catch as the record for the Snake River cutthroat category. The DOW maintains a separate category for native cutthroat species - Colorado River, Greenback and Rio Grande.

The largest native cutthroat recorded in the state was a 16-pounder taken from Twin Lakes in 1964. The exact species is not known; but it was caught before the DOW started stocking the Snake River variety, said Robin Knox, the agency?s sport fish coordinator.

The size of the fish gives evidence that the Blue River continues to be a high-quality fishery, Knox said.

To see records for all fish in Colorado, go to the DOW Web site at: http://wildlife.state.cous/fishing/.

--Press release CDOW http://wildlife.state.co.us

L

·
0 Posts
holly crap thats 1 big cut. makes me wish i was out fishin right now!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, there's no way I'd expect to catch a lunker that. I'd be there with my 4lb line busted in my hand wonderin wha happened :eek:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It may be a state record, but it is also a man made fish, meaning it was stocked and gets pellet fed on a daily basis.  Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful fish and my congrats go out to the angler. It is similar to the giants that come out of Tailwater fisheries.  Tailwater fish are man made trout as well, because they feed so heavily on Mysis that get pushed through the dams.  Mysis were intorduced into those reservoirs above the tailwaters as a forage base for Kokanee.  If it were not for the reservoirs and mysis, you would not see huge tailwater trout.  However, from time to time you see big fish come out of reservoirs and mainly those reservoirs with high concentrations of scuds.  It's something about shrimp that get trout to pig status.  That is a bute!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rip lip said:
It may be a state record, but it is also a man made fish, meaning it was stocked and gets pellet fed on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful fish and my congrats go out to the angler. It is similar to the giants that come out of Tailwater fisheries. Tailwater fish are man made trout as well, because they feed so heavily on Mysis that get pushed through the dams. Mysis were intorduced into those reservoirs above the tailwaters as a forage base for Kokanee. If it were not for the reservoirs and mysis, you would not see huge tailwater trout. However, from time to time you see big fish come out of reservoirs and mainly those reservoirs with high concentrations of scuds. It's something about shrimp that get trout to pig status. That is a bute!
If you make that arguement, it technically can be made about every species of fish in colorado... The natives were on the brink of extinction tell "man" brought them back... Every other species in this state has been stocked, reserviors are all man made to give them habitat (and us water storage). Its an amazing fish caught on public water and is very deserving of its status... Have you caught a Cutthroat anywhere near that size?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
YEAH! What a fish. Spin fishing too. I've caught a 17 lb brown before (biggest trout ever, gunny gorge) but a 17 pound cutthroat is in a completely different league. I think my biggest cut is like a 5 pound snake river. Damn........that fish is HUGE...what a PIG.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
amen brother. I thought the same thing when I read that he caught it on a rainbow trout colored rapala. I'm gonna try floating rapalas more next year for trout in rivers, just to see what happens.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Craig N said:
Ive got 1 question, where is snake river?
Snake river cuthroat is the name, the fish was caught in the Blue River just below Green Mountain Resivoir Damn, or so the post says.

So to answer your question, I don't know where the snake river is. Sry
:-\

·
Registered
55 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
amen brother. I thought the same thing when I read that he caught it on a rainbow trout colored rapala. I'm gonna try floating rapalas more next year for trout in rivers, just to see what happens.
Its just like anything, floating rapalas are tough, the fish have to be aggressively feeding, I've tried in several places, and not much luck, but I am no pro either

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
As mainly a guy that fly fishes for trout, i have to admit ive caught some big trout on rapalas in the past...usually the small jointed nuetral bouyancy types. they are just hard for fish to pass up, expecially the bigger trout that are cannibalistic or like to feed on minnows. its doesnt surprise me he caught that one on a rapala, it isnt the first big trout to fall prey to one. Big browns have a special weakness for them it seems....

see...i admit it. i threw hardware at trout before. ;)

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
TFB

...they are one of the best river lures ever made...you can cast them close to snags and float them in on roots, rocks, undercut banks...let the current do the work for you (you will lose less that way)...dont be afraid to use big ones...11's and 13's will even get taken down by 12 inch trout...you can imagine the size of trout a fish pushing twenty pounds can inhale...I have even used 18s at Spinney and caught some huge fish...18s are hard to swim and make look alive in heavy current unless you have a pretty stout rod...I have always stuck with the floaters...but I would think some of the neutrally bouyant ones would do wonders on some of the deep holes on the Colorado...not to mention the big lures would show up well when it is running a little discolored...on other thing they seem to lock in better if you enhance the red rainbow stripe and gills with a red Sharpie...add a few black dots too with a black Sharpie...you can make them look a lot more life like...and change the look up a bit from what they are used to seeing...I grew up on the trout streams of Southeastern Minnesota chucking big rapalas for browns...werent many rainbows stocked there at that time...the browns love their diet of fish...I think it is why they are deemed harder to catch...people dont approach that method...just my 152 cents...sorry to get so long winded...

Oh and one other thing...all those Brook Trout streams you have on the Mesa and Western Slope...brookies love them too...mostly 5's and 7's...but I have caught 8 inch brookies on a size 9 Rapala while fishing Morraine Park in RMNP for Browns...stream brookies absolutely love them...and like I said floater swim around snags wonderfully and cast a long ways on 4 pound line which allows you to stand back and not spook fish because they float and wont snag...just twitch'em and make them look like a fleeing baitfish or trout based on the forage in the area you are fishing...I even have some that I have doctored to look like little brookies...and the little cannibles eat them too...burp!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Suspenders like Husky Jerks, Yozuri's and Pointers work well also fished jerkbait style.

That is a huge Snake River!!!! I wish they still stocked them at Spinney :mad:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
epic - I don't intend to make an argument about man made fish. I agree with you when you say most species are non-native and were introduced by man at some point. I know the exact location where that guy caught that fish and I guarantee you it is not public. It is part of a 48,000 acre ranch on the Blue. The owner has more money than he knows what to do with and he has put millions of dollars into river improvements and stocking brute trout for years and years. There are hundreds of fish like that in the area, it's just that one was a cutt. I'm assuming in order for him to have the fish examined by a state biologist he had to keep it and that is a shame. I would be excited if that fish came from a public reservoir. We have all seen private ponds with submarines swimming around. Where this fish was caught is no different, but that doesn't matter. It's a pig and hopefully it will go on his wall and not go to waste.

Cutt - somewhere on the Blue

[img]

[img]http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/6830/marty210xb.jpg
Donaldson Rainbow (Cross between steelhead and rainbow)

Another Donaldson

All caught on private water.

F

·
0 Posts
I used to be member of a private lake in denver that had some hog donaldson's in it...My personal biggest I estimate at around 14lbs the lake record at the time was 16lbs....I think the fact that the record came out of private water at least for me is less impressive....No doubt its a monster fish, but its like hunting in the zoo...Those donaldsons fight like beasts..I hooked one in my pontoon a few years back with my fly rod...It started running straight at me...the line went limp so I figured he shook off(barbless hooks) when all the sudden my drag started screaming and the fish was jumping behind me...it was a blast...Great fish but just like the home run records...The numbers now are impressive but with steroid use they will always be tainted...

·
Registered
935 Posts
rip lip said:
epic - I don't intend to make an argument about man made fish.  I agree with you when you say most species are non-native and were introduced by man at some point.  I know the exact location where that guy caught that fish and I guarantee you it is not public.  It is part of a 48,000 acre ranch on the Blue.  The owner has more money than he knows what to do with and he has put millions of dollars into river improvements and stocking brute trout for years and years.  There are hundreds of fish like that in the area, it's just that one was a cutt.  I'm assuming in order for him to have the fish examined by a state biologist he had to keep it and that is a shame.  I would be excited if that fish came from a public reservoir.  We have all seen private ponds with submarines swimming around.  Where this fish was caught is no different, but that doesn't matter.  It's a pig and hopefully it will go on his wall and not go to waste. 
Certainly, if Snake River cutts can successfully spawn in the Blue, not all the snake river cutts there can be said to be man-made, anyway. If that specific fish was stocked, I would consider it man-made. If it grew from an egg fertilized by adults in the blue, then it's fish-made.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts