Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where all can we catch one of these awesome fish? Where would be the best chance at one (what places have higher numbers for instance)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think they may have stocked Snake River cutts in South Delaney. Not too many left but the one I got earlier this year was 19 inches.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm I guess they are not as common as I thought. I always thought the Blue had tons but can't seem to find anyone that knows where or has caught more than one or two by chance. Looks like I'll have to do some hunting for that one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Years ago I caught one in the Poudre, believe it or not. That was in the area below the fish hatchery. I'm not sure if they're still in there, though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've grabbed a couple out of the old poudre, mostly near the old hatchery, and higher. I am not sure how often they have stocked these fish in there, they do seem to be the rarest to pull out. Incidentally, the good numbers of native cutts in that stretch of river is the reason for the DOW catch and release only restriction is in effect there. It is also fly and lure only, and no scented products from the pingaree park road up to the town of glen echo ar just past. It is excellent fishing in the summer and fall, and I'll tell you in a couple of months how it is in the winter....

Dave

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe, I bet the poudre fishes decent in the winter where you can get to the deeper holes, there's some nice fish in there. I've only been there a few times when I was first starting, I'd like to get back sometime for sure.  Never knew they even once existed there so thanks guys...I didn't realize there weren't many places to catch these guys at.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Phil - They stocked them in the Blue a few years back; put a couple thousand in there if I remember correctly. They are more spread out now, but the tailwater and downstream from the Facotry Stores should still have good numbers. There are probably not that many places where they are prolific in numbers, so it's hard to tell where your best chances would be. Good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
113 Posts
FishnPhil said:
Hmm I guess they are not as common as I thought. I always thought the Blue had tons but can't seem to find anyone that knows where or has caught more than one or two by chance. Looks like I'll have to do some hunting for that one.
They are in the DS and all over pikes peak.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
We caught a bunch last summer at Green Mountain - laughed our heads off - these little guys are *ferocious* and will fight like crazy! They hit on nymphs, dries, pistol petes... everything!

Hubby had one come up after a spinner - jumped more than a foot out of the water and hit the hook as he was bringing it in for another cast. Wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. Too funny!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts