Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If a person spends enough time on the water, they are sure to see the damnedest things. This Thursday, near the Mill Creek inlet on the west side of Horsetooth Reservoir, I had another first. The day was going well so far:

Just after my daughter and niece were swimming in the no wake area near the inlet, we noticed a snake slithering across the water. Thinking it was a bullsnake or garter snake, we casually watched as it swam right toward us. I joked around and said that the thing will probably just swim under our boat to get some shade. However, as it got closer, I noticed the pattern on its skin and head shape and sent the girls to the front of the boat. It was a rattlesnake!

I have no idea why it swam toward us, but I started poking at it with my net handle as it attempted to enter the boat through the transom area. It ended up wrapping itself around the motor mount for protection and was refusing to leave. My daughter was pleading for me not to kill it, but I wanted to make sure it was not going to bother anybody else so I did as much damage as I could. The snake ended up striking its fangs into the rubber part of my net handle and then it finally moved out of the motor and lay motionless in the water.

I was busy fighting it, but here is the photo my niece took:

Crazy!

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Oh hell no bro, that frickin thing woulda been a hat band!!! I've seen them swim at WF before, I head the other way!!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh hell no bro, that frickin thing woulda been a hat band!!! I've seen them swim at WF before, I head the other way!!!
Tony, remember we talked about camping on your birthday?!?! I guess this could have been your birthday present. Ha ha.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
LOL...I would of been running on water dude!!! Happy belated birthday to you also!!!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Dude from the club up there had the same thing happen to him.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
That's what we saw! Told my son to keep an eye on him as he was headed for the boat, he said it has a flatter tail and not pointed....I said goodbye!!! As we turned I saw the rattles!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts