Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to use these because my wife likes to change lures every 5 minutes.
Do they hurt your chances of catching fish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
I also do the same thing, if the fish are not bitting on something, I will try another. It beats having to tie knots all day. Sometimes I will also use a metal leader with a snap swivel if I need a little more weight.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a great idea I will have to try that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
I would like to know also. Does it hurt to use a snap when jigging for walleye? I mostly use fireline and if my catch rate would stay the same than I think I would start using a snap.
JT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I ALWAYS use them when using spinners and spoons. Without it my line would become a tangled mess. I don't think they hurt the action of these type lures or reduce your catch rate. However, when using soft plastics, bait, jigs, or plug lures I hardly ever use them...

Tim
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,229 Posts
I use snap swivels for 3 reasons. First, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots. Second, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots. Third, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots.

I have found that the most important thing is to use as small a snap swivel as possible. The only time its a problem is if connected directly to a hook. (Looks very unnatural and hard to disguise, and I almost always use snelled hooks) I see more incidents of trebles getting snagged on the line when using a snap swivel causing the lure to run sideways or backwards.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Dan said:
I use snap swivels for 3 reasons. First, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots. Second, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots. Third, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots.

I have found that the most important thing is to use as small a snap swivel as possible. The only time its a problem is if connected directly to a hook. (Looks very unnatural and hard to disguise, and I almost always use snelled hooks) I see more incidents of trebles getting snagged on the line when using a snap swivel causing the lure to run sideways or backwards.

Dan
So you are saying you have fumble fingers??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,229 Posts
left_turn56 said:
Dan said:
I use snap swivels for 3 reasons. First, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots. Second, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots. Third, I am fumble fingered and it takes me forever to tie good knots.

I have found that the most important thing is to use as small a snap swivel as possible. The only time its a problem is if connected directly to a hook. (Looks very unnatural and hard to disguise, and I almost always use snelled hooks) I see more incidents of trebles getting snagged on the line when using a snap swivel causing the lure to run sideways or backwards.

Dan
So you are saying you have fumble fingers??
What I meant to say is 'I have fumble fingers'!

Dan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,399 Posts
I use swivels alot when I'm not catching anything and I'm changing lures alot. If I'm using a lure that causes Line twists I use them then tie a leader then the lure.
I also found these quick snaps that I'll take a picture of when I get my camera back. I bought them at some sale bin I have no idea where but they are very little and not big like a snap swivel. I got them for like 2 cents a pack.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I always used to use swivels no matter what I was fishing for. They are nice and easy. However, I went back down to Texas last year to do some inshore redfishing with my dad's uncle and cousing, and they said NEVER use a swivel. Their reasoning was that it's just one more piece of gear that could malfunction and they also said in their opinion it didn't do anything for the lure action. Perhaps it's different for redfish and other saltwater species, but it kinda rubbed off on me and I haven't used swivels since. I don't mind retying knots. Very occasionally I use a swivel when I'm in a new area and want to throw a whole bunch of different stuff. Also I like them with Kastmasters, but that's about all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,692 Posts
I have found that when I use a jigging retrieve,which I do alot,especially with kasty's,the swivel cuases the line to get tangled in the trebles of the lure-this is called "ensnarbulation".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
LOL. That's the best new word I have heard yet. We need to add that to the "Official Coloradofisherman.com Dictionary."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,266 Posts
I didn't read every post post so someone may have said this but I take the rings off of all my cranks and replace them with snaps. Those rings will cut thru your line if the line gets inbetween them.

-Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,633 Posts
Mustang

I am with your uncles and cousins...one more thing to interfere with the action of a lure...malfunction to a lesser degree...or in colorado's gin clear waters...scare off a prospective fish...much less a big fish that has seen every thing...and that is all I want is a shot a prospective big guy...and a few seconds to tie a lure or hook on is a small price to pay...you do need the ball bearing variety for trolling however...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
Those rings will cut thru your line if the line gets inbetween them.

-Jay
Many-a-times I've encountered that. Maybe I'll have to switch to swivels on the lure. But dag-gummit, I'm too damn lazy!!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top