Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. This may sound like a weird topic but it is actually something I would like to know about. I tried to research this but can't find nothing.
Has anyone ever heard of, or personally dealt with any dangerous encounters with snapping turtles or snakes while fishing in a belly boat? I just can't convince my girlfriend to go belly-baoting with me because she (Kadiya) is too scared. I even offered to buy the tube and fins! I personally don't think that any danger exists except for flipping or getting caught in a big gust of wind in a large reservior where you shouldn't be anyways. What poisonous snakes do we have? Rattlers which don't venture into the water? I know bullsnakes and garters won't bother me. Please, any info would help!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
gotmusky? said:
Okay.  This may sound like a weird topic but it is actually something I would like to know about.  I tried to research this but can't find nothing. 
Has anyone ever heard of, or personally dealt with any dangerous encounters with snapping turtles or snakes while fishing in a belly boat?  I just can't convince my girlfriend to go belly-baoting with me because she (Kadiya) is too scared.  I even offered to buy the tube and fins!  I personally don't think that any danger exists except for flipping or getting caught in a big gust of wind in a large reservior where you shouldn't be anyways.  What poisonous snakes do we have? Rattlers which don't venture into the water?  I know bullsnakes and garters won't bother me.  Please, any info would help!!!!

UHHH YEAH!! After you had your best bud tell me about his friend whose foot got attacked by a monstrous sized snapping turtle and he had to hack it to death with a dinky lil pocket knife, I think anyone would be a lil put off from going on a belly boat after hearing about that. And it's not my fault those stupid snakes at prospect ponds keep trying to chase my nightcrawlers when I reel my line in!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Fortunately we only have to deal with the rattlesnake in Colorado. Snappers are a different story but I have never heard of any mishaps with belly boats. I would be more afraid of a mosquito bite and West Nile virus. What was it 30 plus killed by West Nile Virus in Colorado last year?

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yeah and I have been trampling Colorado for 25 years...the backside of Aurora...all kinds of rip rap and brush piles on eastern reservoirs...foothill streams and rip rap...I have only seen one rattlesnake...stepped on him in the bottom of the narrows of the Poudre Canyon while fishing...it sure gets your attention and makes your spine crawl!

D

·
0 Posts
The only rattlesnake I have ever encountered in the wild I found way out in the middle of the big south cove at Pueblo, swimming across the lake. Bizarre! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I never would have believed it.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I've seen some snapping turtles, one up close, attached to my friends lure. It was pretty big, and in an area I wade alot. I hate to admit it, but there are times I'm a little uneasy in my tube. I sometimes cringe when feeling something bump my leg (branches). The worst story I've heard though, and I'm serious. I was told by a friend, but I'm sure he was serious. A guy caught a musky, and when it got in close, it tore his leg up (maybe trying to chew the line?). Anyway, you can all laugh at me now, but really I have 2 tubes. One I'm in the water about up to my pits, and unless I'm in Aurora or some high mountain lake, I'm never that comftorable. My other one, I sit pretty high out of the water, but I'm worried about tipping over (setting the hook and all  :-[). I seriously am going to try to tip that sucker over once the water warms up. Just to see how possable it is, and how easy it is to get out if it happens. Go ahead and laugh. I grew up in Michigan, and have been chased by water moccasins. Once camping in Allegan, MI. A girl we were swimming w/ got bit by a snapper near shore. Some guy had to cut it's head off to get it to let go. I'm going on here defending my uncomfortableness. I do have a suggestion. You can get nice kayaks set up for fishing for $250-$500. By the time you add up waders, fins, and wadding boots, it can actually be cheaper. Also, theres places that only allow wakless boats or that don't allow float tubes unless they're more than one chamber. I hope I haven't scared you more. once you're fishing you kind of forget about other stuff, well, until you see something.    

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Turtles are scared of you and will advoid anythign bigger then it floating in the water that isnt a log or a rock sticking out of the water. Even big snapping turtles. Occasionally they will come close to people fishing to try and grab some fish on a stringer or you may catch one off and on with a lure but even then a little noise in the water will scare them away. With waders and some long fins to kick with you have very little to worry about when it comes to snakes and turtles in the water. Most just want to advoid you.
The only poisonous snake in Colorado you will have to worry about is Rattlers and they dont like to swim unless its absolutely necessary. They also have rattles which they will let you know that they are near you and polietly ask you to move on and leave them alone.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the info and interesting stories. James, you're not helping me convince my gf to get a float tube :mad: j/k. I actually wanted to get a canoe or kayak but my vehicle is just too small. I am still in college and can't afford anything bigger right now. I thought about inflatables but they just seem too delicate. I have thought about saving up and getting one of those porta-botes.

They are pretty cool. Check em' out and tell me what you think. www.porta-bote.com

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Lots of rattlers around horsetooth, never seen any near Boyd though. Only bullheads. Man, how freaky would that be. Out in your bellyboat and seeing two rattlesnakes swimming towards you!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Sorry. You can tell her that my wife really likes the float tubes (and she's not that crazy about fishing). It really is a nice way to spend the day together. It's like you're alone at the lake/pond. For shore-fishers, it's a great way to cover more ground. I'd try out the folding boat b4 buying. the 1st problem I would see, is the wind. Either at the lake or trying to rip it off the top of your car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
!

james said:
I've seen some snapping turtles, one up close, attached to my friends lure. It was pretty big, and in an area I wade alot. I hate to admit it, but there are times I'm a little uneasy in my tube. I sometimes cringe when feeling something bump my leg (branches). The worst story I've heard though, and I'm serious. I was told by a friend, but I'm sure he was serious. A guy caught a musky, and when it got in close, it tore his leg up (maybe trying to chew the line?). Anyway, you can all laugh at me now, but really I have 2 tubes. One I'm in the water about up to my pits, and unless I'm in Aurora or some high mountain lake, I'm never that comftorable. My other one, I sit pretty high out of the water, but I'm worried about tipping over (setting the hook and all  :-[). I seriously am going to try to tip that sucker over once the water warms up. Just to see how possable it is, and how easy it is to get out if it happens. Go ahead and laugh. I grew up in Michigan, and have been chased by water moccasins. Once camping in Allegan, MI. A girl we were swimming w/ got bit by a snapper near shore. Some guy had to cut it's head off to get it to let go. I'm going on here defending my uncomfortableness. I do have a suggestion. You can get nice kayaks set up for fishing for $250-$500. By the time you add up waders, fins, and wadding boots, it can actually be cheaper. Also, theres places that only allow wakless boats or that don't allow float tubes unless they're more than one chamber. I hope I haven't scared you more. once you're fishing you kind of forget about other stuff, well, until you see something.    
Thanks James!

Finally someone who can sympathize with these fears here! I think it'd be ok if the water was clear in the shallows where you might accidently step on a submerged snapper. I think I'd be happier with a regular boat tho...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Kadiya you have to relieze if you accidently step on a snapper you are going to have big ole flippers on your feet so by some fluke he bites you he is just going to get a mouth full of flipper and probably never even touch you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hmmm ePic I dunno bout that I have really tiny feet... and from that story from my bf's best friend that snapper was a huge ass monster! Hmmm I think I'd feel better if I had like steel toed wading boots... Plus it doesn't help hearing all the many horror stories about snappers from my dad who grew up on a resevoir in Minnesota. I know they're just regular normal animals who should run away from you but all these true horror stories I've heard about them they just sound so evil and ornery!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
You have to relieze they are fishermen telling you a story for some reason they tend to exagerate a little.
Dont get me wrong your fear is justified I'm just saying it is highly unlikely and you probably wont be wearing just boots you will have swimming fins on like what divers wear. Usually atleast 12 inches to the end of your foot.
Also I have not heard any stories of belly boaters in Colorado losing any toes or anything from killer snapping turtles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In 1998 my friend was boating at horsetooth and she was skiing
she fell when she hit a ball of rattle snakes rolling across the lake together. she was bit around 30 times and passed on the way to poudre hospital. I use a belly boat and find them to be a cool toy but i'll always remember the snakes. on the other hand i see way more snakes on the shores then i've ever seen in the water. i would try some reverse phycology on my lady if i were you.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Man thats horrible!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts