Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
5th reel said:
  In 1998 my friend was boating at horsetooth and she was skiing
she fell when she hit a ball of rattle snakes rolling across the lake together. she was bit around 30 times and passed on the way to poudre hospital. I use a belly boat and find them to be a cool toy but i'll always remember  the snakes. on the other hand i see way more snakes on the shores then i've ever seen in the water. i would try some reverse phycology on my lady if i were you.

HOLY! OMG that's horrible! I didn't know Horsetooth had soo many rattlers... I guess we better get a trailer and make sure to use a boat on horsetooth then... Don't they rent boats on Horsetooth too?

Thanks for the info everyone... I guess 5th reel is right tho, I know I've seen way more snakes kicking it right next to me on shore than in the water swimming around.

G

·
About the snapper... I lived justoutside of Houston, Texas for quite awhile before I moved here. The lakes I fished were full of snappers, and they can be a big pain when you're catfishing since they seem to like the same bait. However, whenever I would see one I would try to catch it (being 10 or 12) and they would high-tail it out to deeper waterr. Unless you accidentally catch one (which is a challenge in itself) a snapper is not going to be agressive toward you. If you do manage to reel one of these rocks close enough to bite you, just cut the line and they'll be gone. Snakes...... I dunno, I lived in Texas like I said and we had to deal with copperhead, moccasins, and other nasty snakes, but rattlers and water don't usually go together so well. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, aren't you supposed to be focussed on the fishing?

· Registered
381 Posts
Ive never heard or seen of any problems with turtles. I do know though that all snakes swim and I actually have seen them in the water before. Generally snakes are very shy and want no part of us. Also remember, snakes are cold blooded so they arent real excited to get into 52 degree water.

· Registered
7,737 Posts
I must be lucky. I'm outdoors all the time and have only seen 3 rattlers in CO. One at Crickle Creek. one (huge!) dead in the road in Lyons, and one at Marshal Mesa (in boulder). The one in Boulder, my dog found, and when I went at it w/ a stick. It went right in the water. I thought the elevation would be to high for snakes (?), but I've seen Bull snakes while hiking the old Hidden Valley Ski area.  5th Wheel, I'm sorry about you're friend.  :(  Man, if I saw a ball of snakes rolling across a lake. I'd swear it was a sign of the apocalypse!

G

·
..."In 1998 my friend was boating at horsetooth and she was skiing
she fell when she hit a ball of rattle snakes rolling across the lake together. she was bit around 30 times and passed on the way to poudre hospital."...

No disrespect, but, I heard that same story in Texas as a kid 20 years ago, but it was a ball of cottonmouths...
This must be a common phenomenon.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.