Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

snowmobile??

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  lake1177 
#1 ·
I found a snowmobile w trailer for 300 bucks so I had to pick it up for ice fishing. the problem is it has 6900 miles on it. I heard that id allot from a snowmobile. The guy I bought it from used it to hall hay to his horses in vail for a couple of years and said it had no problems. So I was just wondering what is the most miles you guys have put on them before they give out.

#2 ·
What type is it? What year and motor?

Snowmobile miles are all different, it is how the sled was used.... Mountain riding hill climbing 10k is about all, trail riding they can go a long long time if you take care of them.

Does it look beat up? Check the clutches, grease everything. just check it over real well.

G
#6 ·
I bought a snowmobile last year from someone on the forum for $300. It ran great when I had it out. Make sure you have a spare belt with you in case the belt blows. I also got to run it up and down the street a few times during the snow storms last year (check with your city to see if it's legal - lots of fun.) It was a 1986 Arctic Cat Jag - I have no idea how many miles it had but it was great for ice fishing. I elected to sell it last Spring. I think I'll be getting an electric start next time.

Honestly, I think you got a pretty good deal.

#9 ·
I got a 79 DOO Everest L/C for free. Cleaned up and drained fuel and put a new coil on it, with 8700 miles on the speedo. Runs great, pull's ice fishing sled and all the gear great. Top speed 40mph. Still looking for a windshield!! A guy can still can find most parts for old school sleds online with surfing. At some point you will have to stop putting $$ into old school toys, it just wont make sence any longer.

Ice fishing rocks!! Love It!!

#11 ·
Those mid '90s Polaris are REALLY easy to fix or work on.
They run forever.
Do these tips and things should go fine:

Just be sure to take the carbs off, dismantle and clean very well before replacing.

Put some "SeaFoam" in the first tank of gas.

Clean the primary & secondary clutches.

Inspect drive belt

Inspect all idler wheels / track / suspension

These items should only take a few hours and well worth the effort.

For more info, snowmobilefanatics.com has some really good stuff.

You'll have a blast!

#12 ·
thanks guys for the tips! lake the trailer is just and old pickup bed converted into a flatbed. I might be trading it for a 2place trailer w/ my friend. I would be glad to trade off hauling them out with you if this happens :D I just hope I can keep up with you :D :D :D

#13 ·
Rad said:
thanks guys for the tips!  lake the trailer is just and old pickup bed converted into a flatbed. I might be trading  it for a 2place trailer w/ my friend. I would be glad to trade off hauling them out with you if this happens :D I just hope I can keep up with you :D :D :D

Not to worry! I'll be dragging all my stuff behind, remember that nasty hill to the lake off dike 3 at Granby last year? Gonna take an effort to get back up that one. We helped 3 snowmobiles up that hill on the tournament last Feb. I'm ready to go! Is it ice time yet? lol. I have a one machine trailer for now. Need you to get that two-place one, lol!
And I think Albow has one now.  ;)  ICE ON!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.