Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a reply from North Park Anglers that the US Forest Service does not issue any outfitter permits for any use on Big Creek Lakes. I may ask the USFS myself to allow someone to arrange a trip like this, but I doubt it will get anywhere.
The road used to be kept open all the way to Pearl so it was only about 5-1/2 miles into the lake. Now, from where the county stops plowing, it is 13 miles.
I have a 50's mobile home up that way, and have been told by another landowner that he has walked across it on snowshoes when the snow was eight feet deep on top of the trailer.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Why Big Creek so bad?

I've been there, a way cool place, but if it's lakers you want there are way easier places to go.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I fished there years ago durning the summer, I thought it was a shallow lake with a lot of grass and weeds.

Maybe it's not the same one, but it also had another lake attached with a small stream between the two.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
There's Upper and Lower if memory serves me. A stream runs out of Lower, the bigger one, just as you drive up. The Upper was a hike in type place.

We did throw a boat on it (Lower) and caught lakers, but nothing to write home about.

Has Grayling also if I recall correctly.

Very pretty area.

My best memories are the grilled antelope steaks and Makers Mark consumed up there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to go there because that is where our cabin is, and that is where I grew up fishing with my Dad. And, it looks like I'm going to have to abandon the idea and go somewhere easier: Grand, Grandby, Blue Mesa. Any suggestions?
There are two lakes: the lower lake has lakers (my largest is 34 inches), and often times nice rainbows. I have also caught a few big browns, but large ones are few and far between. The east side of the lake goes up to 60-feet deep. It is the second largest natural lake in Colorado; second only to Grand Lake. I think the river is a lot of fun with smaller browns and brookies in the right places. You are right about the grayling; although I haven't caught any, the state record comes from there. I think they hang out at the far end of the lake where the river from the upper lake enters.
The upper lake is hike in (in the Zirkel Wilderness), and has brookies and lakers. The end where the stream ties between the two lakes is very shallow, for a couple hundred yards before it drops off. Float tubes are the key, or drag a kayak up if you really wanted to work at it.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
What a nice to place to have a cabin!

There are far more serious laker guys on here that I so I'll defer to them to make a recommendation of the best lake for you to hit.

Cheers

PD

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have snowmobiled into BCL and iced lakers in the past.
Its a haul. About 13- 15 miles on snowmobile - one way, depending on where you can park and unload.
This is a good time to go. The snow has set up and you can travel about anywhere without getting stuck. Plus the lakers are now getting the bite on

Ive been hitting Chambers a lot recently. Some dandy fish in there too.
One of today's fish

Attachments

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I got a reply from North Park Anglers that the US Forest Service does not issue any outfitter permits for any use on Big Creek Lakes. I may ask the USFS myself to allow someone to arrange a trip like this, but I doubt it will get anywhere.
The road used to be kept open all the way to Pearl so it was only about 5-1/2 miles into the lake. Now, from where the county stops plowing, it is 13 miles.
I have a 50's mobile home up that way, and have been told by another landowner that he has walked across it on snowshoes when the snow was eight feet deep on top of the trailer.
My Buddy has some property at "Twisty Park"
He usually can't make it in till late May at the earliest..
Usually, June...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts