Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a snowmobile and I have no idea what lakes snowmobiles are allowed on except for Granby. So what others are they allowed on? And when will granby be safe to drive a snowmobile on?

Andy

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think Denver Water doesn't allow snowmobiles or motorized transport on any of our lakes (11mile, williams fork, dillon). Most lakes they are allowed though.

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
Wolford is snowmachine friendly- Also Green Mountain,Willow Creek,Steamboat,Delaneys and Lake John, Big Creek Lakes, Honholz Lakes, That I can think of-

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the first of the year when it is safe for snowmobiles or when it freezes and is safe for people on foot

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
andy86 said:
is the first of the year when it is safe for snowmobiles or when it freezes and is safe for people on foot
Every lake is different, and every lake will have some dangerous spots even after most of it is "safe". My rule is, I'm never the first. >:D

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
andy86 said:
For certain dont do 1st ice on a snowmachine. I'll go out on 2.5" but it aint gonna support a 500 lb machine.

Like GF said, its a lake to lake thing, year to year, even day to day thing.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
normally the bays will freeze earlier and allow snowmachines 1st, I'm normally the 1st guy out with a snowmachine but thats always after watching the areas freeze and 1st walking out to test thickness and every year is different I've been on the lake as early as Dec. 15th and as late as mid January but early and late ice are always my favorite times and I do have an atv 130' down at the bottom of the lake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
redleader said:
normally the bays will freeze earlier and allow snowmachines 1st, I'm normally the 1st guy out with a snowmachine but thats always after watching the areas freeze and 1st walking out to test thickness and every year is different I've been on the lake as early as Dec. 15th and as late as mid January but early and late ice are always my favorite times and I do have an atv 130' down at the bottom of the lake.
You sound like a guy we will read about in some newspaper one day.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
redleader said:
IceInTheVeins. said:
You need a minimum of 6" of ice for a snowmobile
I would run mine across the lake every 4th of july for years.
Ha ha! I heard about that. Why did you stop?
the forest service guy shut me down because I didn't have a fire extinguisher, go figure? and technically I can't run it on the shoreline without snow and no wake zones were an issue, I need to build an amphibious one that floats.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Ran out of gas?
not me but one of my buddies forgot to turn his gas on, 3 of us took off from the dam at shadow and the plan was to go clear to Grand lake, he got out about 50 yards and ran out of gas. He had to swim back , not sure why he was wearing his helmet though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts