Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Arkansas River has been a part of my entire life. As a child I played in the river, floated it in canoes, fished and watched it become my home lake in Pueblo. My job keeps me driving along that river and I have more memories than I can count on each pull off and turn it seems. Sunday, it wold provide yet another that will be burned into my head until I am laid to rest.

My son and I have fished a lot together. He has shown moderate interest in it but early on, he never really wanted to fish all that much, he just wanted to go and play which was totally fine with me. When he turned 5 he started casting well and would go out on the boat now and then or whatever and he would cast 5-10 times and then go to doing other things. I am not one to push him too hard on passtime stuff, so it was just important to me that he had fun and tagged along. He reeled in fish I hooked and did his thing. Last year, he had two fish hooked on the res but neither of them landed...

This year, he was determined to catch a fish on his own. He is now casting great and gets his line un-tangled and he really wants to go fish any time he can. We took off for the Ark yesterday and from the moment we got there, he was casting. I saw a different way about his approach. He was focused and slightly intense about each cast.

We walked upstream and he stayed out ahead of me. Instead of getting bored and playing with rocks and sticks, he just kept casting. We ran out of decent water in the first spot we hit, and it we could have left back home. I asked him if he was ready to go or if he wanted to try another spot. In years past, he would have definitely said he was ready to go...but not this time.

We drove upstream to a place I have fished for a very long time... this area was slightly tough to fish from shore because there was a sand bar that you would have to cast over to get to the good run in the river. It was just a tad further than I thought my boy could cast, but we were only gonna fish for 20 more minutes or so and I knew he would have fun just casting.

He began casting and I told him that he had to cast a bit further but if he could, the fish were there. After 7-8 casts, he was really getting it out there. I told him to angle it slightly up stream and give it all he could...and he did. As soon as the lure hit the water, I said, "wow, great cast".. just as he started reeling in the fish hit. It jumped out of the water two times and he was screaming! "It's on there, I got one"... a few moments later, He brought it to shore and raised it out of the water. His first fish totally unassisted.

Letting him do this on his terms has been very challenging. I believe we all want our kids to be like us and succeed easily and rapidly, but it just doesn't always happen that way. I truly believe by letting him do it on his terms, he got the most out of his experience and will be coming back for years to come. I believe the smile says it all.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Pimpin! Love it man
Well done to both of ya

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
AWESOME!

Nice catch Oyey Jr!

Nice job to you dad for taking the time and having the patience to get your boy into the great outdoors!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Awesome! I'd say way to get your boy onto some fish but it sounds like he's taking care of it himself! Must be a cool feeling

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice job putting Junior on to some fish! And congrats to Junior on catching his own fish! :thumb:

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
That is awesome J! Memories to last forever!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
good job Jason, he sure is getting big, it seams like it was just a bit ago that you carried him to the river, it won't be long before he carries you to the river

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good job Jason, he sure is getting big, it seams like it was just a bit ago that you carried him to the river, it won't be long before he carries you to the river
Haha, ya Byron, I loved taking him in the chest pack to the river. It def goes by super fast.

It's interesting hearing Redleader say what he did. I don't know what the "right" way is to get kids fishing. For me, it's been just offering him the chance to go, and when we go, it's just messing around with rocks and mud and sticks. I was feeling kinda behind the curve when he wasn't super into it and wasn't catching fish on his own at 4-5 years old, as I have seen plenty of kiddos do that. Now that he's 7 and we have had plenty of fun, I think it's worked out just the way it was supposed to for us. I don't think there's one way to do it. I just hope the memories he has are good ones and at some point, he gets the peace of mind that I do out of being outdoors.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Yep redleader is right you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink...youre letting him find his own way! Great great job dad!...even better job by your son congrats to him!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts