Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And something they were talking about made me think.

Yep, this is more NFL/QB talk....

So they were talking about QB's with multiple SB wins, and what criteria (if any) makes for an elite QB.

That's not what this is really about. Rather, it's about something interesting with the list of QB's that have multiple SB wins.

Bradshaw - 4-0
Montana - 4-0
Brady - 3-1
Aikman - 3-0
Big Ben - 2-0, possibly 3-0 after this Sunday...

This isn't the complete list, but this list has one unique connecting theme.

When discussed in circles, such as this, many (if not all) of these QB's aren't considered by most to be of 'elite' status. In fact, when arguing who many of us would rather have on our teams, or who's better than whom...one thing seems to always come up when any of these QB's are mentioned. "System QB". Or "He had a great team" or "If he didn't have that defense..."

The common theme is, none of these guys get any love for being an elite QB...just a guy who got lucky to be on a great team.

When asked about what makes an elite QB, Mike Tomlin said "wins"... I tend to agree. So then if wins matter, and in this case, SB wins, why don't these guys get the love that others with less SB wins or even none get?

So what say you? Is Elite more than just wins? Is it more about the team? Does having a great or even good QB even matter if the team is great, or do QB's make a good team great?

Yes, I know it's all subjective, and like a-holes, everyone has an opinion...

Talk it up!

O0

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Kenny--Do you get Sound FX? If so, did you see the episode where Mike Tomlin told Big Ben that he was pulling him because he didn't want any of that John Wayne stuff at the end of a game? Tells me what the head coach thinks his QB is capable of.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sswan said:
Kenny--Do you get Sound FX? If so, did you see the episode where Mike Tomlin told Big Ben that he was pulling him because he didn't want any of that John Wayne stuff at the end of a game? Tells me what the head coach thinks his QB is capable of.
Didn't see it.

Are you suggesting he's not very capable? ???

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
sswan said:
Didn't see it.

Are you suggesting he's not very capable? ???
Just the opposite.

Tomlin thinks Rothlisberger is going to go "John Wayne" and tells him he's pulling him. Ben replies to him "That's the only way I know how to play, Coach."

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I think one of things that make him good is that he's really tough to sack.

So is our new guy in town.

No comparison, yet. Just an observed common characteristic.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Who says these are not "elite" quarterbacks??

Bradshaw
Montana
Brady
In many 'discussions' of who's great and who's not in the NFL, many people p'sha these QB's as simply beneficiaries of a great team, or defense.

I've had many such arguments defending the likes of Brady and a couple of times even Montana... In fact, I think the Zman formally known as Moderator may have even suggested he could have won SB's with the team Montana had.... :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Who says these are not "elite" quarterbacks??

Bradshaw
Montana
Brady
In many 'discussions' of who's great and who's not in the NFL, many people p'sha these QB's as simply beneficiaries of a great team, or defense.

I've had many such arguments defending the likes of Brady and a couple of times even Montana... In fact, I think the Zman formally known as Moderator may have even suggested he could have won SB's with the team Montana had.... :D :D :D
My mom could have QB'd one of Bradshaw's teams and several of Montana's teams to the title... ;D

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, just found the quote...It wasn't Zmanning, it was the Destroyer..I think... LOL My apologies to the Zman formally known as Moderator. ;D

Anyway, Bradshaw is #27 on the 50 most overrated QB's....

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Ok, just found the quote...It wasn't Zmanning, it was the Destroyer..I think... LOL My apologies to the Zman formally known as Moderator. ;D

He was good. But look at the teams he and big Ben have had around them!!! Same with Aikman.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
You're right AmRwigglesTheTownWormKenny.

Some soothsayers on here with ring envy.

Wih ya on that...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Neal/CO said:
He was good. But look at the teams he and big Ben have had around them!!! Same with Aikman.
And we have our first contestant!

I'll wait to retort... ;)
I didn't say they wern't good? They are and were very good! Look at the team Aikman had around him and then look at the team Marino had! No comparison! Marino was great!!!!

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
Aikman definately needs to be on that list, so easy to forget him, he played on a great team. Big Ben & Aikman are very similar in that respect. They won superbowls, but .......

Elway's 2 superbowl wins are comparable...... He didn't win until the Team was good around him. But his stats overwhelm both Aikman and anything Big Ben will ever produce....

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
the great thing about Rothlesburger is his ability to control the game. He can hand the ball of 40-45 times a game. Yet make a down field pass when needed. He scrambles better than anyone in the game. Including Vick! The dude just makes plays when needed. Sounds a lot like his idle growing up! The other #7! It's no coincidence that he wears the same number! Anyway I think Big Ben is one of the most underrated QB's in the game. I would take him and his winning anyday!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts