Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd quit hijacking the Indicator thread with my deep water questions, what about the sinking leaders on a type 2 line, to get deeper. Would that be impossible to cast, or a workable alternative to buying a new line?

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Just another never-ending nuance in the Anal Art of flailing!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just spend the money on new sinking line. In my opinion, if you are fishing deep you shoudlnt be casting a ton (assuming you are at least in a belly boat to access deeper water). A spool of low dollar sinking will work just fine.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Will you be fishing in a float tube? Cabelas has some fly lines on sale right now. Sounds like sinking tip is the way to go. Their info says full sinking is tough to manage, and they say if you spend more up front you will get a big increase in quality and performance. :)

I was looking at their Cabelas Prestige Plus Sink Tip Type 2, $29.99 (reg $39.99) I don't know if that's the right stuff -- maybe one of the regular fly guys will comment.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For Lake fishing - frankly I prefer my Spinning Rod for fishing deep. After all the years of Fly Fishing i found that I like to fish flies for dries and for streamers shallow. If you got to get down 15 to 20' or more to fish Streamer or flies with action, then the Spinning gear is better.

That being said, if you are fishing from a tube, with streamers, back trolling with your fins, then a Clear Camo intermediate is what I prefer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your insight, FA, that's probably a good idea. in fact, the "fly and bubble" technique is so productive, it's almost cheating. No reason why not to go deep with it, is there? Don't guess you could cast a rig with 20' of spinning line out, though. Just have to drop it in.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't own any sinking fly lines, but I've read several times that a full sinking line will do everything better than just a sink tip. You can get lines with different sink rates as well...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Will you be fishing in a float tube? Cabelas has some fly lines on sale right now. Sounds like sinking tip is the way to go. Their info says full sinking is tough to manage, and they say if you spend more up front you will get a big increase in quality and performance. :)

I was looking at their Cabelas Prestige Plus Sink Tip Type 2, $29.99 (reg $39.99) I don't know if that's the right stuff -- maybe one of the regular fly guys will comment.
I have a Cabelas Prestige sink tip I fished for several years before I finally broke down and bought a full sinker. It was a 10 ft type 6 sink tip, and it was awful to cast. I tended to get a hinge effect with the tip. Type 6 is pretty heavy; maybe something less dense would be easier to use.

With either the sink tip or the full sink, you have to get the line up to the surface before you can cast it. That might take stripping in a little more line with the full sink, but at least you can make a decent cast once you strip the line in. If you're fishing streamers, you're either trolling, or you're casting and stripping in most of the line before you cast again anyway. I much prefer my cat III density compensated full sink line.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
no. it isn't always best to have to pick up a full sink instead of just the tip.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive used to fish a full sinking clear line made by SA...it was difficult for me to manage and required a stripping basket in order to keep the line from trangling around my feet when it sank. This especially got annoying when fishing from a pontoon or belly boat. Now I fish a 400 grain sink tip when i throw heavy streamers; it allows you to shorten up your leader and get your line to turn over easier on your casts when dealing with larger flies. As of late ive also used a sink tip to fish deep runs with no indicator...sort of a modified czech presentation...just keep your line tight and follow with your rod tip and watch your line for a pause that indicates a hit.

A long time ago (mid 90s) Rio made sinking leaders which i tried with miminal success...i stopped using them because i didnt seem to gain much over a sink tip and it was just something else i had to tie onto my line. When i fished stillwater and wanted a deep presentation i either lengthened my leader and used a weighted nymph and allowed it to sink before my retrieve (using a countdown to get it to the same depth every time) or fished a streamer on a sink tip with a short leader. a short leader was key; it allowed the fly to sink and maintain the same depth of the line instead of floating up above it on the retrieve. Either way, it was hard to know exactly how deep my fly was running and almost impossible to maintain the same depth throughout the retrieve. As stated, sometimes a spinning rod is the way to go...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts