Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
god damn it don!  you beat me to it!

;D ;D ;D ;D

hilarious, but I'm honestly curious as to what you think about it?  will she win, or will the judge call her and her lawyer a moron in some way or another and throw it out of court?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
F.F Woodycooks said:
hilarious, but I'm honestly curious as to what you think about it? will she win, or will the judge call her and her lawyer a moron in some way or another and throw it out?
It's a hoot! I'm betting it doesn't even get filed. I don't remember what state this was, so I know nothing about that state's law. I assume she'll try to come up some theory of invasion of privacy stemming from the posting on YouTube. I don't see that theory as getting her very far, though, as the incident happened in a public place, and as an employee of that mall she undoubtedly knew of the security cameras. She had no expectation of privacy walking through the mall.

I can't believe some lawyer is considering taking this on. ::)

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
She has done herself more embarrassment by coming forward than if she'd just lay low. I'm waiting for the remix song, a'la Antoine Dodson style.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
She's already got a lawyer, they appeared on Good Morning America this morning. My guess is that's why a lawyer took the case, for the exposure.
Whoever said "There's no such thing as bad publicity" was wrong.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I deal with lawyers all the time that make things like this into 25k-500k+ lawsuits... Seeing the way the system is abused is really sad at times. I have paid out millions of dollars in settlement money to folks that are fine. Consistently, they are folks that "need" a settlement.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oyey said:
I deal with lawyers all the time that make things like this into 25k-500k+ lawsuits...
Things like this? I don't think so. Not in this state anyway.

Maybe you need to find some new defense counsel. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oyey said:
I deal with lawyers all the time that make things like this into 25k-500k+ lawsuits... Seeing the way the system is abused is really sad at times. I have paid out millions of dollars in settlement money to folks that are fine. Consistently, they are folks that "need" a settlement.
well, it's like talking trash to someone until they are at the point of violence, and then when they inevitably break your nose, you sue them.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Oyey said:
I deal with lawyers all the time that make things like this into 25k-500k+ lawsuits...
Things like this? I don't think so. Not in this state anyway.

Maybe you need to find some new defense counsel. :D
dude, slip and falls are constant and nearly all of them were the fault of the idiot who fell (like the one in the video)... The many defense cousels I use are excellent, but the truth is, most never go that far... Insurance carriers just pay.

My point isn't really that folks are not liable, it is that so many times, when they are, the amount claimed is inflated ten fold (at least)... If I was a personal injury attorney, I could make a killing just knowing how insurance settles those claims... Simply by being able to inflate the actual medical expenses... it is really simple... I am sure you know that Don...not that you do that, but I am sure you understand where I am coming from, no matter which side your on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are multiple issues here, and it is important to separate them.

1. She fell and nobody came to her aid. Personally, I don't see this as lawsuit material. Sure, if she were hurt then maybe. But it's obvious from the video that she was fine. Only wet and embarrassed. The only thing I would have expected is for the janitor to be called to clean up the now wet and slippery floor.

2. There were not enough "safety devices" around the fountain to prevent accidents-- like a railing or something. Honestly, I could see someone suing over this and winning. Although at some point we have to say that "we can't protect people from their own stupidity". As she pointed out, she could have been texting outside and walked in front of a bus. And if she did that the bus driver would not have been sued.

3. Mall Security copied the security camera video and posted it on YouTube. I don't see how this could be lawsuit material. The local TV stations show security camera footage all the time of robbers and other crimes, saying "have you seen these men?", and the robbers can't sue because the video was shown. The Mall cops might be fired for violating employee rules, but that's about it.

In my opinion, this woman is an "Attention W***e", and has signed up with the mall fountain equivalent of an Ambulance Chaser. Let's hope that she gets more negative attention than anything else.

-David K

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow guys. She could have been seriously hurt because of this an we ridicule her. What if she drowned or worse yet, bumped her shins Please take her advice and let everyone you know and most important children, DO NOT TEXT AND WALK! Following her public service announcement will save embarrassment and many lives.

At the beginning of the video, I thought the news anchor was going to lose it. Very funny find Don! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts