Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

If you wanted some grass, would you plant new or just lay sod?

• Sod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting some opinions from you guys. I plan to put some grass in soon. First, I will have to put a sprinkler system in and then till the earth and add some good stuff. Once that is done, I want to add grass in some form or another. I plan to do that in may.

I really don't care much about the time frame or the money involved. Just wondering if any of you have personally seen the effects of planted seed vs sod. Which is better? More lush? Which lasts longer and requires less maintenance? Which requires less water? etc etc

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
At my last house, and soon to be next weekends project on house #2 is seeding. I used the seed that comes with fertilizer and recylced newspapers. I laid it out thicker than the direction suggested and kept the moist consistently for two weeks. Afterwards I was pleased with the results.

I tilled up the yard before seed placement as well.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Not sure about how lush they turn out.
But I would put in the sod, you can walk on it right away and if you have dogs it will be easier too.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
sswan said:
Sod, and water the livin' daylights out of it.
No kidding on the water, and fertilizer, lots and lots. I have family that works for Templeton Gap sod farm, they lay sod, fertilize it with 20-20-10 and water the crap out of it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sod, no doubt. I did my yard with sod and my neighbor went with seed in his back yard. My yard has looked thick and lush while his still looks thin and me meager. He has put a lot of effort into his yard too. I tilled in 20 tons of topsoil and layed the sod. Five years later, mine looks great and his, not so much.

Go with sod!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Next time you come by the house, you might end up trying synthetic... mine went in this weekend and it is SICK... pays for itself in about 6-7 years...

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting replies. I didn't think people would be so heavily sod-favored. My buddy threw down some seed. Kentucky 20 Fescue something-or-other. His looks great and he says he doesn't water much...so I wasn't sure if that was the way to go or not.

And Jason, I will order some of that synthetic when I start making about 50K more per year LOL

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Oyey said:
Next time you come by the house, you might end up trying synthetic... mine went in this weekend and it is SICK... pays for itself in about 6-7 years...
Are you serious?...where did you buy it from...just curious...do they have a website...do you have to vacuum it?

I would do sod...I know you have to water the crap out of it...but you cant let grass seed dry out...doesnt it need a certain gound temp to germinate?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I've owned a landscape company for too long. Anyways you will get the same reults either way if you set up the irrigation correct and do proper soil prep. Use 4 yds per 1000s.f. compost/manure/topsoil and make sure the tiller is good you want to rip down 4-6" Cheap tillers just scratch the surface and really do nothing. Seeding will save you quit a bit but it takes alittle more time and you might need to over seed once or twice. If you can swing it I would do it now before it gets to hot. Early spring usually allows for less water and less stress on the plants to establish. Also check and see if you need to pull a permit most cities now require a irrigation and soil permit with inspection.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice trout.

I wish I could do it sooner than May, but I have a wedding at the end of the month that I am preparing for. Man it would be tough to do it before then, but I may still try....

....I still need to put in a sprinkler system....lol fack

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Irrigation is easy. The soil prep is a real ***** and labor intensive. When putting in the irrigation remember to check the water pressure and whatever the gallons per minute are will tell you how many heads you can put on a zone and minus that by one.. If the pressure is low also check the pressaure regulator if its a newer house most of the time the builder sets them really low. When it comes time to put the sod down if thats the way you go just check with the sod farm and get a install price. Most of the time they are really cheap if its over 3000s.f. I havent put sod down myself or crew for years the sod farm is way cheaper then paying my hguys to do it.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just dug and installed a drip system last week, so I am not shy of labor.

This is the back yard now (minus the weeds because I burned)

This is the vision I have for it so far....gonna add a few things in back and a couple nice horseshoe pits.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Dig a hole and put in a bass pond instead >:D
I already tried that angle. The old lady wants grass SOOOO bad and I don't understand it. We have grass out front....

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Dig a hole and put in a bass pond instead >:D
I already tried that angle. The old lady wants grass SOOOO bad and I don't understand it. We have grass out front....
Well there ya go, a little compromise >:D Grass in front and water out back, tell her that if you had a pond you would make fewer fishing trips, saving thousands of dollars on fuel !!!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Riv drip lines are normally above ground. It looks like you only want sod in the middle and a rock/ mulch etc area on the outside thats where the drip line sits above ground with weed fabric on top then rock mulch. That way you can access it easy in the future if you add shrubs and stuff. Trees in the sod area get all the water they need from the grass. Most trees die in this state from over watering during spring/summer and no watering during dry winters. Go pull it up re- do it and post pics ;D J?K when you do the irrigation tap into the main to the house 3/4" don't use a 1/2" line frrom a hose bib. You can but it will cost you more because you will need more zones.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts