Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day all,

I have 5 bags of Gary Yamamoto custom baits that seem to be going bad. Two set of my white single tail grubs that are starting to change colors. The white/cream ones are getting a yellowish brown tint to them. I also have a couple bags of the 3" grubs in chartreuse that are also changing colors.

What would cause them to change? Does heat make this happen? Did I not seal the bag all the way up and let air get to them? They are the salt impregnated baits. I leave them in the boat in a soft side storage bag. The boat is stored outside covered.

Has any one else had a soft plastic bait change color on them or go bad. I thought they would last forever. A last not I never place a used soft plastic back in a bag. I store them in another zip lock.

JT.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When storing your plastics, be sure to put them in an area that does not get hot. Plastic worms will fade due to direct sunlight as well as heat while stored inside of a tackle box. Even if the heat is fairly mild, this will still cause fading after a period of time. The other reason they fade is because they tend to get dry. When the plastics are empregnated with salt and covered in salt this will dry them out. This can often times be cured by adding some oil or attractant to your bag of plastics. You can spray a bit of BANG attractant which has an oil base into the bag. This will keep them well lubricated and soft as well as help to slow down the fading process. By keeping your plastics soft, the appearance underwater will be much more accentuated and lifelike. Many plactic makers add a high power heat stabilizer to their fomula when they pour worms. Unfortunately, Yamamoto is not one of them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
maybe you have the new hot color "brewing" in your boat!

I had a bag of bright red w/gold flake stick wroms in the boat for about 6 months. When I found them, they were kind of a light burnt orange color w/gold flake. I went through the entire bag that day and had great success on them. I guess you never know?????

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fish oil or some type of scent with oil or lubricating agent. Some scents you might want to try are Berkley liquid attractant, Crave Gravy, BANG, Getzem, liquid Smelly Jelly etc...The purpose of the scented oils or additives is to simply added moisture and flex to the plastics so they will perform more life-like. This will also help restore dried out worms that are fading. Who knows, the scent might even help to up your catch!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
lol...I am glad you said something cause I was (seriously) gonna use vegetable oil!

·
Registered
131 Posts
The ESPN News Reporter ask: So Wayne, what type of plastics did you use to win the big tournament?? Wayne responds: "Well, I used Ken's salty worms with Castrol 5W-30 additive, the fish loved them!" Don't let the enviromentalist get ahold of this one!!!!

G. Wayne Byrd
"Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts