Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the most effective why to rig soft plastics. Carolina rig, Texas rig, Drop shot, also what's the best colors to use? and size and type. I know everybody has a different opionion on this one. just look to see how and what everybody is using.

I mostly Texas rig with a small 3/16 oz. weight and a watermelon worm.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It very much depends on the situation. I probably texas rig 80% for largemouth and 80 open jig heads for smallies. It is hard to beat green pumpkin or dark melon pepper.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've tried carolina rig that didn't work casted out and it's still goin but i do mostly all texas and then open for some post spawn bass and SM.Color is just whichever i pick.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Generally I just use a plain texposed rig for largemouth and a regular jighead for smallies.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it depends on the lake im fishing . Ive caught tons of fishing carolina riggin . I always use a couple beeds for noise and a bullet sinker . I also use a floating bait that way i can control the depth of the plastic ....just barely above the weeds is where i have the most luck .....texas riggin has also givin me years of great fishin ......one you left out is wacky riggin which in the last few years with senkos has givin me more 5lb fish then any of they other methods mentioned . The good old jig and pig is still very hard to beat

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bass4Life said:
Call me stupid how do you wacky rig
Nope, you're not stupid. Most all of us "wacky" riggers asked that question of someone at sometime. You just take your hook and run it right through the middle of the worm. 

Here's a link to a page with directions and pictures for several different rigging techniques:

http://www.nybass.com/robj/nybsenkorig.htm

Don In Denver

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
For ponds I go weightless, and Texas rigged. I have caught fish w/ wacky rigged plastics. Exude has a worm called a Pocket Fry, w/ holes in it. Use that method (wacky) under a bobber when there are little waves. It will usually produce. When using grubs or small tubes I use a jig, but the smaller the better.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I've got a stupid question myself,does it madder what size hook you use and what kind of hook?

Soft plastic. My favorite substance-silicone that is. I like to rig my special soft plastics side by side in pairs. They never let me use a hook though.....It might hurt.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Dunbar said:
I've got a stupid question myself,does it madder what size hook you use and what kind of hook?
You try use as big of a hook as you can get away with. But depending on how the fish are biting you may need to down size to adjust the fall of the bait. When I am flipping to spawning bass in Kansas I will use as big of a hook that the plastic will hold up to a 6/0. When I finese worm in the summer I may use a 1/0 or 1.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I Texas rig and Wacky rig mostly. Wacky rigging is very effective in open water. In cover I texas rig.

I have caught some nice bass here and in NC this summer on a 6" Zoom Finesse worm wacky riiged on a 1/6 oz Gami 26 jighead.

I also have been using a 4" Fin S Fish rigged on a 1/32 oz long shank mushroom head jig alot. The jig is just heavy enough to give me some more distance but not ruin the action of the fluke.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I order them special from Gopher tackle in MN. Sometimes Gander Mountain has them also! They are poured on either 3/0 or 2/0 wide gap gami's. I use the 2/0 on 4" baits and the 3/0 on 5" baits.

The last time I was at Gander they had some.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Goto Gophertackle.com and be willing to pay extra for quality and you can have anything you want! Bass Pro shops also has a 1/6 oz darthead poured on a 3/0 Gami.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts