Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am a newbie to Co, just moved to Boulder about two months ago from MN. Itchin to take adavantage of the mild weather here and get after some fish.
I mainly target walleye, but will chase others species as well. So far I've spent a little time out on the Boulder Res., just because it is so close to home. Unfortunately, it iced over again, so I was unable to get out on the water the last couple of days. I was thinking of heading on down to Pueblo sometime here in the next couple of weeks, any other bodies of water with good walleye populations to reccomend? Is Cherrcreek worth a try?

Just thought I'd open a thread, see what type of advice you folks can throw out.
I am not expecting any Great bites this time of year, but would like to familiarize myself with some of the fisheries so I am comfortable come pre-and post spawn fishing.
Seems like slow/slow presentations deep, along the edges of basins and channels, or other structures seems to be the ticket.
I'll post more questions and feedback in the future. Thanks to all

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
the lakes i;ve had best luck for walleye are chatfield boyd and carter at carter i;ve caught walleye more than anywhere and it usually stays open year around

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Id also have to echo chatfield! Wont find alot of monster but a chance for good numbers.

Welcome to the site!!!! Dont forget about the mag!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't forget about boulder res. My friend has done well out of his flaot tube along the dam in april and may. Have also heard some good reports when it ices up. Just have to walk a little bit to get to some good spots for now. If you have a boat call and check into when they start selling passes for this summer. They go quickly.

JT

·
Registered
152 Posts
I fish Boulder Res a little in the spring and during the flow, The walleye spawn there in late feb and early march, in late feb I like to run stickbaits along the two dams and between the docks. Sometimes big brown doubletail jigs along these same areas get the bite. When they start spawning I work the dam with cht/wht twistertails in the two and three inch size range and I dead stick a live shiner about 10 feet from shore with my 12 foot crappie rod. In late march when the carp start to roll I hit the point that splits the two dams with suspending stickbaits in cht/whit or firetiger, I use a crank and pause. About May they start flowing water into the lake from the north end, I to switch to a lindy rig and bait, I start with crawler, then leeches and minnows last.I just toss my rig in til I hit bottom and slowly work it back til I find fish. You will catch alot carp in the process.

Rod

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2/02 Thanks guys, good to hear some positive feedback regarding Boulder res., wasn't really sure if I was wasting my time out there or not. Is it a low light bight, or can things be good during the day as well? THe water clarity was pretty bad last couple of times I was out, or I guess it is just the way it is, especially for mid winter. I guess I kind of assumed with the water color the fishing would be better when there was some light penetration.

Where can I score some minnows, close to BOulder, anything out there?

I'll probably be out Moday, bait woyuld be nice, but if bot I'll try other stuff. Thanks for the info, I'll let ya know how it goes next time I get out.

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the site I too live in Boulder and Boulder res used to be my home away from home a while ago. First off Boulder res has a pretty good pop of big walley My grandfather when he was still alive used to pull at least 5lb+ per visit on the farthest dam west the 1 by the beach. I think his biggest was 11lbs he used to use the slip sinker nightcrawler methoud. There is some nice smallies largemouth and cats in there. the rainbow fishin used to be killer there but the last 5 years I think the dow has steered away from rainbow stocking. For youre question on bait the only place in Boulder county that sell minnows is a place in Laffayette on Basline just west of main street. Good luck out there!! If u like trout I can show u some killer places just minutes away. Lake trout, rainbos, browns and muskie!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts