Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fishing a while and never paid much attention to them. Anyone out there use them? Do you inprove catches? Just thought i'ed ask- ???

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ive never used them so I couldnt say either way. On the last ep of 'The next Bite' They were talking about it and Pete Mania says there are more important things that effect fish. Like sun/moon rise/set and the berometric pressure.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Jay, how dose the presure affect them? With the lows moving in, should fishing pick up tonight? I've been working the dams at boulder the last couple of evinings with little luck-

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I only use them when I have a bad day fishing.... OH it was a full moon thats why I didnt catch anything, ect. :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
you know how geese fly in a v and never have equal number in both lines. geese can not count. so how does a fish know if its a full moon or not the best time of day to feed or not to feed. I think it is a human thing trying to figure out a fish. I have hundreds if not thousands of dollars of the newest finest fishing tackle and yet a fish that does not even really know what the moon is knows not to bite my rainbow color supperdupper on a certain day at a certain time. go figure. I have no idea if they work or not but I look every time I get the chance.

L

·
0 Posts
Fish are supposedly affected by the gravitational pull on the earth by the moon, same thing that causes the tides in the ocean. Some people swear by those tables, I don't. I look at them but that's about it, my experience has been too inconsistent to say they are worth anything. Now I do believe that full moon and new moon has an affect on night time fishing, but only due to the light and brightness of the night or lack of it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, not sure if that was helpfull or not......

I think the solarlunar.com guy could have made a fortune selling cure-all elixers back in the day- ^-^

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
laker taker said:
Fish are supposedly affected by the gravitational pull on the earth by the moon, same thing that causes the tides in the ocean. Some people swear by those tables, I don't. I look at them but that's about it, my experience has been too inconsistent to say they are worth anything. Now I do believe that full moon and new moon has an affect on night time fishing, but only due to the light and brightness of the night or lack of it.
I agree with laker taker. Also, it is easier to fish at night with a full moon shining, so why not? I always wondered if the statistics were skewed by the fact that more people may fish on a full moon.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Full moons keep the surface of the lakes shiney and pretty when waves are present  :p  at night.

I try to follow the hype although the results are inconsistent. I'll still get all amped when the tables say that fish are supposed to be active though. I've had some great trips when following solar/lunar tables however there are those where it aint all that great. I think it works when conditions (weather, barometric pressure, water temps, time of year etc) are favorable to the fish (species considered). If all of those factors are in the favorable category for that particular species of fish, the moon phases may just be a boost to what's already ideal depending on which phase is supposed to be the better one. But how often do you catch that especially when we're all somehow busy either working, on the spouse's leash, maintaining household chores etc?

I'd say go by your gut feeling. It has provided me with plenty of success as well as skunk. Go out as often as you can and within those many trips you'll find yourself face to face with stellar fishing from 1 to quite a few more times!  ;)

1eyeReD

L

·
0 Posts
ok so the moon affects the tide water
but we live in colorado what does it do to our water
Its the force of gravity which is supposed to affect the fish, not the water. Supposedly fish and animals are more in tune with the forces of nature than we are and unseen forces such as gravity causes a desire to eat.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
Trust in the force,Luke!

M

·
0 Posts
fishingkats said:
ok so the moon affects the tide water
but we live in colorado what does it do to our water
Believe it or not, all bodies of water have "tides" the difference is that size matters. You won't notice it on most lakes but you will notice it on HUGE lakes in small increments. Lake Michigan as an example has a tidal surge of between 1 and 3/4 inches. This is what the tables are based on. Here's a link on tides...

http://www.thespaceguy.com/moontides.htm

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, I don't think these tables work for improving catches. I bought a Prime Times solunar calendar last year and logged my catches each day I went fishing. I caught lots of fish on days where the fishing was supposedly going to be terrible and I've had the big skunk on days that were supposed to be on fire!

The solunar calendar was only good for keeping track of months and days ;D

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
now I agree with the most of you, there are several things that affect when fish eat.  But I will not deny the power of the moon / sun pull.  I did quite a bit of research into the idea of solunar tables and through my expaeriences thay have become an excellent refference point.  You cant stick to them 100%, but as a reference, I have not yet been disapointed.

They go all the way back to native americans and been studied and used for hundreds of years.  The times are used for all hunting & fishing species.  It has to do with the gravitational pull of the sun and moon.  The Indians called it sun/ moon overhead, and underfoot.

The scientific implications are that the moon and sun affect all liquids in the same way they affect the tides of oceans.   Since most living things are made up of liquids, we all have a minor tide overcome us and effects our body's need for replentishment.  The sun / moons position to the earth at any given spot, and the postion they are in the sky all have different effects on the fluids.

Take it or leave it, I have seen it work and fail.  Again, its good for a referrence point.  I wouldn't make it a religion.

Sorry so long, I just thought it may help

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good feed-back guys. I liked the "other forces" affecting fishing and the "real successes" of the charts-
ha ha, oh, and i think everything was round to the Indians, and moving clockwise. I will try to back it up but i think they knew the earth was round-
:)

·
Registered
674 Posts
If I'm not mistaken and done my research correctly you will notice that most of the record book fish that were caught around the world were done so within 3 days before and after the new and full moon. Don't know if its because people believe the charts and more are out fishing at these times or if it truely does affect the fish. I personally believe that the charts are true but any chance to get out fish is a good time to try.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts