Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow casters I just moved here from hawaii I've been fishing in salt water since I was a kid and I'm new to the rivers and lakes I'm not sure how the fish react or what they do or where they like to hang out or what to use as bait I felt like a idiot casting 30 yards in a lake in Denver this past Easter when every one else was casting like 5 feet away from where they was standing so just hoping to get a little advice to understand the change I need to make thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
Welcome to the site! That is quite a change no doubt. I thought moving from MI to CO was a learning curve and it was to be sure but nothing like your change. My best advice is to meet a few people here and fish with them. I would offer but I am based in COS and focus on South and West of COS. Another suggestion I have is watching a show called "Fishful Thinker" and "Terry Wickstrom Outdoors". The Terry Wickstrom Outdoors show is also on the radio LINK
I hope this helps and enjoy learning a totally new way of fishing and a beautiful place to boot :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where you at Hanapaa? I'm near Greeley and could use a partner now and again in my 2 person nucanoe.

I would feel the same way if I moved to Hawaii and started fishing there lol I'd be lost! So don't feel bad. Get on Facebook too and join some pages like "hard water warriors" or "clear water warriors" or "Colorado kayak fishing club" you will meet people that way and get some useful info too.

This time of year think slow. Fish are still lethargic and are just warming up. Some species like bass, walleye, crappie are spawning roughly around this time of year depending on water temp. The only fish that hit hard and don't get so lethargic are trout species and other cold water species. It really just depends what you're trying to catch

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the site! That is quite a change no doubt. I thought moving from MI to CO was a learning curve and it was to be sure but nothing like your change. My best advice is to meet a few people here and fish with them. I would offer but I am based in COS and focus on South and West of COS. Another suggestion I have is watching a show called "Fishful Thinker" and "Terry Wickstrom Outdoors". The Terry Wickstrom Outdoors show is also on the radio LINK
I hope this helps and enjoy learning a totally new way of fishing and a beautiful place to boot
Thank you for the link i appreciate it I'll check out that show asap

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where you at Hanapaa? I'm near Greeley and could use a partner now and again in my 2 person nucanoe.

I would feel the same way if I moved to Hawaii and started fishing there lol I'd be lost! So don't feel bad. Get on Facebook too and join some pages like "hard water warriors" or "clear water warriors" or "Colorado kayak fishing club" you will meet people that way and get some useful info too.

This time of year think slow. Fish are still lethargic and are just warming up. Some species like bass, walleye, crappie are spawning roughly around this time of year depending on water temp. The only fish that hit hard and don't get so lethargic are trout species and other cold water species. It really just depends what you're trying to catch
I'm over in Fort Collins, I just got my one year fishing License, I have no idea where greely is I don't get out much I work week days and try to get out on the weekends, I don't really go on my face book any more but I'm down to go fishing tho I have tried at horse tooth and some river up the road from my house had no luck what so ever but I seen a lot of fishing popping out the water So frustrating

·
Registered
625 Posts
casting 30 yards never hurts, but most of the action is closer in. If you really want to catch a fish go get a 1/4oz silver, 1/4oz gold and 1/4oz red/gold kastmaster. you'll get trout in any of the places that have trout, especially now.
use the silver when it's sunny and the water is clear, use the gold when the water is not clear and it's not sunny, try all three. look for points and structure, cast a fan pattern, rinse, repeat. morning and afternoon, not so much mid-day.

you may also find that fly-on-bobber is a fun and easy way to fish. go to a local bait shop ask them what dozen flies to buy, but them. chat them up ask where to go. when you actually make a purchase the bait shops can have good info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, a young guy who works all week, loves fishing and doesn't care about his facebook status. I like this guy! You're going to love Colorado!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
casting 30 yards never hurts, but most of the action is closer in. If you really want to catch a fish go get a 1/4oz silver, 1/4oz gold and 1/4oz red/gold kastmaster. you'll get trout in any of the places that have trout, especially now.
use the silver when it's sunny and the water is clear, use the gold when the water is not clear and it's not sunny, try all three. look for points and structure, cast a fan pattern, rinse, repeat. morning and afternoon, not so much mid-day.

you may also find that fly-on-bobber is a fun and easy way to fish. go to a local bait shop ask them what dozen flies to buy, but them. chat them up ask where to go. when you actually make a purchase the bait shops can have good info.
Thanks I'll go pick up some and try it out is trout good to eat?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Depends on who you ask. I like to eat them. Bleed your catch and care for it quickly and it's less fishy. The little ones are great pan fried in butter with garlic and onion. The bigger ones smoke all kinds of ways.

If you are going to a recently stocked place put back the 10-12" ones, they taste like ass. You don't want a fish that tastes like fish food. Give me a couple of weeks to clear that out of their system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends on who you ask. I like to eat them. Bleed your catch and care for it quickly and it's less fishy. The little ones are great pan fried in butter with garlic and onion. The bigger ones smoke all kinds of ways.

If you are going to a recently stocked place put back the 10-12" ones, they taste like ass. You don't want a fish that tastes like fish food. Give me a couple of weeks to clear that out of their system.
I love eatting fish, back home we'd bring supply's with us if we'd be fishing for more then a day stirght and we'd eat the fish meat raw(sushi style) but I'm kind of scared to do that with fish that live in a pond lol is there a place where I can check the legal measurements for keeping a fish?

·
Registered
625 Posts
you should not eat anything here sushi style. even in the pacific NW there are all kinds of people who think "salmon fresh caught, yay sushi!" who don't know that all of the sushi you eat in the USA is required to be flash frozen first. they get sick.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I used to make trout ceviche. Found out that the parasites can withstand 3-5 days of exposure to lime juice :p so now I cook the meat first before throwing it in lime juice to marinate. 8)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That would work too. That's essentially what the commercial guys are doing to their "fresh" fish. :thumb:
that's almost exactly what they're doing. those following along at home need to know that the dry ice part is important. freeze it 1) fast and 2) way below zero. throwing it in the freezer half of your kitchen fridge doesn't count.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts