Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rivrunnr1 said:
Nice man. Good tutorial.

Is that colonative that you hired to do the work? The sweater vest strikes again! :eek: :eek:
If you are ripping on my body hair, what can a brother do? My dad is a hebrew. :D It does look funny in the pic. I have a bad habit of testing my knife edges on the back of my left hand. I should find someplace more discreet. :-\

SS

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Be proud of your heritage. Can't change it! O0

Like your choice of beer. :)

So the material is a piece of that plastic decking? Excellent article so far, can't wait for the rest. Could post it in the"Fishing articles" section.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that it is used as a trim more than a decking. The decking stuff is very heavy; this stuff floats like a cork.

As far as the heritage thing goes, my pops and I don't get along, I think of myself as French, my mom's side.
But yeah, I did have a hairy chest and a full beard in seventh grade. Oy vey! :p

SS

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
swimbait said:
Rivrunnr1 said:
Nice man. Good tutorial.

Is that colonative that you hired to do the work? The sweater vest strikes again! :eek: :eek:
If you are ripping on my body hair, what can a brother do? My dad is a hebrew. :D It does look funny in the pic. I have a bad habit of testing my knife edges on the back of my left hand. I should find someplace more discreet. :-\

SS
:D :D :D yeah I am
you ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
That's a sweet tutorial!

D.J.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks D.J.!

I am debating on how best to procede. I am not sure I will show my method for tuning the bait, as it is the biggest PITA of the entire process... well, that and the finish. :p But if you do not get it tuned right, it is a cool looking ornament for your man-cave, but it will never fish. ???

I have never built a "batch" of baits before, I have always done them one at a time. I started out with jigs and spinnerbaits, then worked my way up to cranks. If you think getting bit on a fly you tied is killer, wait till you hang a good one one a crank you made by hand! There is nothing that compares to that feeling.

I guess I got lucky, my first swimbait worked out real nice. I had been chopping up baits, re-combining them into Franken-baits, and I figured "well, with as much money as I am wasting by hacking up these nice lures, I might as well start from scratch..." I got my best LMB of 2009 on a Franken-bait, a real chopped up and nasty M. S. Slammer I got a 7lber on, and I just figured, what the hell.

SS

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Wicked tutorial. My favorite part was the following:

Like a "fingers shot across the room" deal. Or a "bleed to death before you can make it into the house to call for help" sorta deal. Safety first numbnuts...
Looking forward to the next installment.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Very nice! I learn something every day. Today I learned how baits are foiled - I wonder if I can make that work for my beat-up Shellcracker? Thanks for sharing, and I, for one, am looking forwards to Part III.

·
Registered
260 Posts
great work again man. I'm anxious to see it all finished.

I'm thinking I'll give it a try, but I need to find some pvc board and get a feel for what it's like to work with. Is the board you're using 3/4"?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boy, that is a good question. I never think about stock thickness as it tends to piss me off. 2X4s stopped being 2X4s a long time ago, ya know?

I would guess 3/4... let me go measure...

...and I am happy to report a precise .75" confirmed. :D

It is real funny stuff. Like I said, don't breathe it. I sanded without a mask one day and got a severe headache and dizzy... :eek:

Good luck, post 'em up if you do make any!

SS

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well, here's a pic. I deviated a little from your design, but not a whole lot. I downsized a tad and left out the tail fin. I also had to go with paint and some funny little eyes, which didn't seem to bother the fish, but certainly doesn't look as realistic as what you're going for. I basically just kind of dumbed it down a little.

Anyway, with a new lure design, the proof is in the pudding right? A lure can look great, but does it catch fish? This was my first test run with it and got a nice fish, so I'd call that a success. I got this one with a slow, steady cadence, but I think it'll work at any speed. It gets a little sideways when I burn it, but that'll give me something to work on with my next attempt.

So thanks for the how-to. Truly great work there. This is my first fish on a homemade lure., so it was quite a thrill.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is MONEY right there! ;D

Dumbed down hell, looks legit to me!

:D Too Cool Fool :D

Thanks for sharing. I hit a snag with my photofinishes, had some lifting between the tissue and the foil. It would have caught fish, but it looked sorta stupid... :p

You have no idea how stoked I am that this was of utility to you.

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, it was definitely of utility to me.

Bummer about the lifting. It was looking pretty cool there. The idea of a photofinish is appealing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts