Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True? How smart is a fish? What keeps us standing on the ice just a little bit longer is thinking that at any moment something big will come my way....... it's that one fish that only eats once a year interested in your lure..... he's hungry.........or are you just lucky. Some fish will never be caught....... what do you think?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
A big smart fish will get caught when a fisherman is there in a moment when the fish has its gaurd down. Just like people make mistakes so do big fish. If a person figures out where big fish are and puts enough time in, eventually they will end up at the right place at the right time when the old lunker screws up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Confucius say's
The fish that never gets caught is the one that lives where nobody is fishing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been at this since I was a kid, and one thing I've learned is there's a lot more luck involved than a lot of us grizzled old experts like to admit.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
A big smart fish will get caught when a fisherman is there in a moment when the fish has its gaurd down. Just like people make mistakes so do big fish. If a person figures out where big fish are and puts enough time in, eventually they will end up at the right place at the right time when the old lunker screws up.
Well said....
They may eat, but when they do its anything but guaranteed.
Lost a hog pike late this fall that sawed me off, was like no pike I've hooked before. Hell caught a one over 20lbs less than 30 min later and it was nothing like the one I lost (no fish story lol).

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I agree with all of the above, but every year I hear reports about some big ol hen walleye the CPW nets in the spring from Chatfield during egg collection.

I've fished there a bunch and so has half of the Denver Metro, but some-how those old girls still manage to swim in Chatfield without getting caught.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Big Pike

Well said....
They may eat, but when they do its anything but guaranteed.
Lost a hog pike late this fall that sawed me off, was like no pike I've hooked before. Hell caught a one over 20lbs less than 30 min later and it was nothing like the one I lost (no fish story lol).
Bet you I know where that was !!

·
Registered
902 Posts
T1000r said something like you usually keep driving past McDonald's when you see it. Once and a while you will get lazy and say eff it and grab a big mac. That's how I feel big lakers are. Sometimes you get them to come to the drive through but they smarten up last minute and keep driving.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sometimes makes you wonder if that jig you just reeled up to swap colors was the color the hog wanted that just showed on the flasher and gave ya a look and then moved on. I don't know how many times I swap a jig for a different color, size or even the way I was jigging and wonder if the last way was what the hog wanted. Maybe I shoulda left that big jig or that white jig, or left it dead sticked. Right place right time, right size right time, right color right time, right method right time.... Lotta factors come into play with the hogs especially lakers I say 10% skill, 10% size, color and method and 80% luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts