Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies and Gents. I found your forum in my search for a little angling fun and am really enjoying seeing some of your conversations about fishing in Colorado.

I will be making a return trip to your beautiful state the second week of June and am looking for some help on fishing setups and locations. We will be spending time in Manitou Springs, Denver and Dillon with side trips to Leadville and Estes Park for sure. I've seen alot of talk already about the Blue River but really don't know about much else. My main questions are

1) What are some good places to fish with light spinning tackle (not your secret spots...I know how we all try to keep them, well, secret ;) )?

2)What are the easiest access points for driving to these spots, getting out and walking to fish (I grew up fishing country streams, so rough, wet and dirty are not problems...in fact I prefer off the beaten path)?

3)Top baits for spincast? I am a bass and saltwater fisher here in Texas so I don't know much about trout streams, lakes or rivers.

Looking forward to a discussion with y'all and thanks again

Chris

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The second week in June you will be smack dab in the middle of what looks to be a major runoff from mountain snowmelt. My advice is to stay flexible, check the fishing reports on this site and elsewhere, and get local up to date info from local tackle and fly shops when you get here. Sorry I can't be more precise than that, but the snow pack this year is way, way above normal over most of the state.

If you want to fish lakes, that's a different story. Eleven Mile, Spinney, Antero, Pueblo and lots of others will produce at that time.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The leadville area is your best bet to "get away" from texans... I mean other people ;D. There is a lot of trout water up that way, the headwaters of the Ark is just one place to start. Pick up a Colorado gazzateer (sp?) for access points and roads. For tackle, small minnow plugs, spoons such as bouyants, kastmasters, and in-line spinners will get you into fish. Also a fly and bubble will work great on a lot of the small lakes up that way.

W

·
0 Posts
If you're going to be staying in Manitou, head up Hwy 24 (W) and follow the signs to the Pikes Peak Hwy. Up there is the North Slope Recreation Area which has 3 lakes. N Catamount (artificials only) is the best of the 3 and has a miles of shoreline for you to explore.

Bring some white tube jigs, gold or chrome Kastmasters, gold Thomas Bouyant minnows, Panther Martin spinner (silver blade/yellow body with red spots). These are timeless trout lures that should catch trout wherever they may roam.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Dynamic Lures makes this HD Trout lure that the trout can not resist ;D

Sorry, had to muddle up the thread a little. I have seen nice fish caught on them though. Thomas bouyants and tazi devils would be on my go-to lure list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, lots of fast info. You guys are almost as nice as Texans :-*

I fish mainly between Port O'Connor and Rockport, but I get to do a bit a floundering between Galveston and Bolivar. If any of y'all need info on those areas or freshwater around Austin, I'll be glad to help.

Should I be offended or find it justified that the the most obscure comments so far have come from someone named gofindyourowndamnfish lol!

If Leadville gets me away from the damn tourists, especially Texans, that's where I'm headed! My idea of vacation is getting away from people and drinking good beer. Now y'all know why we are heading your way.

Seriously, I was worried about the melt making the rivers and streams tough to fish, especially considering I'm not a fly fisherman.. Love the idea of hitting the lake up toward Pikes Peak. Definately gonna check that out. My first trout in CO came from the little creek that runs next to the road in Manitou Springs. That was pretty fun.

Also really appreciate the help on tackle. Gonna be traveling really light so the spinners and tubes will be nice for me. Don't know the joke on the HD lures, but I'm gonna be looking for the source of that in the near future. ;) Sounds like the cult of the GULP shrimp on the coast down here to me.

Keep the info flowing and thanks, I'm sure I'll be overloaded with info pretty soon and the lure makers will have caught me a few times between now and June

Chris

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I used to live in Kingsville and used to fish Baffin bay a lot when i was living there. The Catamounts will be a good place to catch trout on hardware, and you may even have a chance at some better fish. I've been meaning to make a trip back down to Texas just for the salt.....I miss it terribly.

Dynamic lures is a good company and they make the HD trout lure, good lure, but some folks on this forum detest their mention as free advertising and feel any plug for dynamic should be shunned. They are a proud Colorado company.

http://www.dynamiclures.com/products.htm

They have some pro-staffers in TX fishing the salt with their stuff.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
TexasFisherman said:
Should I be offended or find it justified that the the most obscure comments so far have come from someone named gofindyourowndamnfish lol!
Obscure? Frankly, I thought that was the best advice I could give you given the state of the snowpack this year.

Once again I am reminded that no good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You definetly need to get 2 colors of Rapala X-Raps. Rainbow trout, and Olive Shad(might also be called TN Shad). They are my go to high water baits, or anywater for that matter that holds trout.

DOn't forget to downsize your line, 4# for most river applications, sometimes 6# in the South Park lakes(11-Mile, Spinney Antero).

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I assume that your question about spinning tackle is concerned with trout?

I am from Texas as well. I tell people that come up looking for trout to go "crappie" fishing for them. Marabou jigs are the best! Small tube jigs, small spoons, little bitty crankbaits, all these things work nicely.

Marabou jigs though... ;) 1/8 oz is a good size. Black and olive are good safe bets. Fish them on four pound mono.

SS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry FYODF, i was just being a [email protected]$#. I keep forgetting how hard it is to convey tone on the interwebs. No offense meant. In fact, your advice probably helped me the most as I always had trouble fishing swift water and it made me start looking more at the lakes we'll be around as opposed to the flowing water.

The crappie fishing comment makes sense to me, thanks Swimbait.

Koldkut, I've never been as far down as Baffin, but it's definitely on my bucket list 8)

As far as line goes, I fish 4# on my micro, but do you guys find it beneficial to fish flouro? What about running a flouro leader? Are the rocks abrasive enough to worry about up there? Just trying to get an idea about what type of line to use.

Again guys, thanks for all the help, and really, findyourown, no offense meant :)

Chris

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
No problem. Have fun.

There will be some moving water that will be fishable by then. Just check locally when you get here as to which ones.

·
Registered
765 Posts
TexasFisherman, I used to live in Houston and fished the bays at least every other week. You know those days when you throw your soft plasics until your arm falls off and you just can't get the specks and reds to bite so you run upside a shrimp boat and get some live croaker and go anchor up on the ship channel? Well, if all the lures that have been mentioned just don't work you can always resort to Power Bait. It's not nearly as fun as artificials but it can be an effective desperate measure if desperate times strike.

If you are staying in Dillon, think about some lakes that are north of there such as Williams Fork, Wolford and Green Mountain. I would probably avoid fishing in Dillon Res. Be careful with your light tackle at Williams Fork as there are plenty of pike that will quickly saw through a light mono or flouro. WF and GM also have plenty of lake trout that may still be reachable from shore if you come early in the month. All 3 lakes have kokanee salmon and several species of trout.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
TexasFisherman said:
:D :D :D That's funny right there..

D.J.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts