Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Missouri last weekend and managed a few minutes of fishing. Nothing special, but I did land a new species (striped shiner). Smallies in the river were not active yet. My cousin pulled some huge rockbass out of root wads dipping minnows. I was fly fishing.

striped shiner

Longear

Rock bass

Almost 10" redear x bluegill hybrid

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
SICK!!!

Fishslap, do all longears have that pumpkinseed pattern around the head, or is that some kind of hybrid?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Cool stuff man. Someone at work was just talking about rock bass the other day... I knew I heard of em and was thinking white bass at first ...then realized that's sand bass. That rock bass doesn't look familiar to me at all tho....

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I caught 4 or 5 of them, with a few bigger than the one pictured. The small river I was fishing gives up a few 6lb smallmouth each year but they weren't active yet.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Yeah, neat pic of the shiner. Always cool to see unusual species like that. Can't really see it, but that crawfish pattern looks pretty good too.

No tiny-eyed poachers in your area then?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, neat pic of the shiner. Always cool to see unusual species like that. Can't really see it, but that crawfish pattern looks pretty good too.

No tiny-eyed poachers in your area then?
Yea, that un-weighted small craw pattern seems to be the ticket. Not sure where I picked it up.

No, meth heads and professional welfare collectors are the societal problem in this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice I've caught lots of rock bass in Nebraska cool fish
One of these days I'm going to go up there and get one through the ice, I-80 lakes or Box Butte maybe.

How did your "out east" panfish trip go? I was thinking of hitting one of the lakes along 76 in by kayak on Saturday, but wasn't sure of the wind. Stayed local and got on some 6-8" bluegill & small bass, no big ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts